GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snails, Slugs, Hedgehogs etc. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84722-snails-slugs-hedgehogs-etc.html)

Victoria Clare 08-10-2004 10:36 AM

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 20:03:38 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or

discouraged
in the garden.

Yes, if there are no dogs in the garden

Dog's don't seem to be a problem - I've got two, and plenty of
hedgehogs.
Admittedly they're small dogs ( terriers ), but the chap just up the
lane has four big dogs, and he still has hedgehogs.

Depends on the dog. We once had a collie x labrador that had a thing for
hedgehogs and would crunch them up spines and all. He was totally cat and
rabbit safe, but you really had to watch him in the mornings and early
evenings when the hedgehogs were about.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

dps 08-10-2004 11:02 AM

paghat wrote:
In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-udOV900dMXzb@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

Whatever turns you on.

Jaques d'Alltrades 08-10-2004 11:29 AM

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

David Hill wrote:
:: St George wrote ".......Probably an old Chestnut but am new
:: to this N.G. .........."
::
:: Which one?
:: You are multiple posting.
::

As have all others who replied....except one.

And as a result have all fallen into my spamtrap...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Stephen Howard 08-10-2004 12:16 PM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:36:52 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

wrote:

"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or
discouraged
in the garden.

Yes, if there are no dogs in the garden

Dog's don't seem to be a problem - I've got two, and plenty of
hedgehogs.
Admittedly they're small dogs ( terriers ), but the chap just up the
lane has four big dogs, and he still has hedgehogs.

Depends on the dog. We once had a collie x labrador that had a thing for
hedgehogs and would crunch them up spines and all. He was totally cat and
rabbit safe, but you really had to watch him in the mornings and early
evenings when the hedgehogs were about.

You sure that was a dog?? No scales...long tail...BIG teeth?? ;)

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Mike Lyle 08-10-2004 12:18 PM

Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]
There are several methods of control, but the two I find most
effective are getting out there at night with a torch and picking

them
off [...]

Good quote from my youngest daughter, then about five, on one of
these nocturnal slug forays: "Dad, Dad, quick! Thith ith a fatht
one!" Not yer average sluggish slug!

Mike.

Stan Goodman 08-10-2004 01:19 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:17:41 UTC, (paghat)
opined:

In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-udOV900dMXzb@poblano, "Stan Goodman"
wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two is the
shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in rec.gardens.EDIBLE is a
question I can't answer.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

Ray Drouillard 08-10-2004 03:28 PM

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:17:41 UTC,

(paghat)
opined:

wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two is

the
shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in rec.gardens.EDIBLE is

question I can't answer.

Well... a slug is EDIBLE, and can be found in your garden.

Ray

ex WGS Hamm 08-10-2004 03:38 PM

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]
There are several methods of control, but the two I find most
effective are getting out there at night with a torch and picking

them
off [...]

Good quote from my youngest daughter, then about five, on one of
these nocturnal slug forays: "Dad, Dad, quick! Thith ith a fatht
one!" Not yer average sluggish slug!

Aw bless :0)
She must have found one of those rare racing slugs.Latin name Arkleus
redrummidus

paghat 08-10-2004 04:47 PM

wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two is

the
shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in rec.gardens.EDIBLE is

question I can't answer.

Well... a slug is EDIBLE, and can be found in your garden.

Ray

Recipe for Slug Fritters:
http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm
There's actually a cookbook called BEST WASHINGTON SLUG RECIPES (1983) but
it's out of print, alas.

And of course slugs go good with worms:
http://www.naturewatch.ca/english/wo...l/recipes.html
http://bertc.com/natural.htm

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Shell 08-10-2004 06:14 PM

Hedgehogs do eat snails and slugs then? I wasn't sure. I think I need
several in my back yard.

Shell

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:05:27 GMT, Shell wrote:

The only role that I know of for the slug or snail is to munch on the

plants
and buds you most like

And all the stuff in the compost heap too. Which is good.
They also attract other wildlife - like hedgehogs - which also eat other
"baddies".

--
Tim C.

---

Stan Goodman 08-10-2004 07:51 PM

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:28:18 UTC, "Ray Drouillard"
opined:

wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two is

the
shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in rec.gardens.EDIBLE is

question I can't answer.

Well... a slug is EDIBLE, and can be found in your garden.

Thank you; now I know. Please feel free to help yourself.

Franz Heymann 08-10-2004 10:46 PM

wrote:

"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or

discouraged
in the garden.

Yes, if there are no dogs in the garden

Dog's don't seem to be a problem - I've got two, and plenty of
hedgehogs.
Admittedly they're small dogs ( terriers ), but the chap just up the
lane has four big dogs, and he still has hedgehogs.

Dogs seem to be attracted by the smell ( as opposed to the
movement..of which there's not usually a lot ), and seem quite happy
to sniff, bark and tentatively prod the hedgehog...the latter being
something they only do a couple of times before the message sinks

in.

The hedgehog just rolls itself up and contemplates its navel.

This is good news. I reported in the way I did because when I
enquired from a hedgehog sanctuary whether they have any hedgehoga to
spare, they stipulated that they would only let them go to folks with
completely enclosed gardens and no dogs.

Franz

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Franz Heymann 08-10-2004 10:46 PM

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

[snip]

You might have to spend a week doing this, but it will decimate the
population to such an extent that a weekly patrol will probably be
adequate.

There is only one extent to which a population can be decimated,
namely to kill off one in every ten.
That leaves 90% fighting fit.
{:-((

Franz

Ray Drouillard 08-10-2004 10:52 PM

wrote:

A slug is a naked snail.

Ha-cha-cha-cha.

That's exactly what a slug is. The only difference between the two

is
the
shell. Whether that qualifies slugs to appear in

rec.gardens.EDIBLE is
question I can't answer.

Well... a slug is EDIBLE, and can be found in your garden.

Thank you; now I know. Please feel free to help yourself.

Sorry. Snails are unclean.

Ray

Pam Croxton 08-10-2004 10:54 PM

Hedgehogs should be encouraged as they are the gardeners friend, they eat
bugs etc. Snails and slugs I am not so sure of.
We encourage and feed hedgehogs, the same as lace wings they do a lot of
good in the garden and as much as possible we plant herbs and flowers such
as marigolds that discourage insects rather then using insecticides.

Enjoy your garden and the wild life that goes with it.
pam
"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

Probably an old Chestnut but am new to this N.G.

Could someone please advise if hedgehogs should be encouraged or

discouraged
in the garden.

Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?

Thank you in anticipation,

Happppppppppppppppy Everythings,

LenBo, Weston-SUPER-Mare