Old 10-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Pen Phill

Default Puffballs

Hi All

How can I get rid of a couple of pufball fungi that are pushing up tarmac on my
driveway? I have had them growing at the edge of the lawn before and have just
dig them out. They are grey and quite hard at first but later if one is mowed
off (not having noticed it) there is a cloud of brown spores. I have pulled off
a lump of raised tarmac and the thing is there. Can I pour some sort of killer
concoction onto it and if so what please?

Phil
Old 11-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pen Phill wrote:

How can I get rid of a couple of pufball fungi that are pushing up tarmac on my
driveway? I have had them growing at the edge of the lawn before and have just
dig them out. They are grey and quite hard at first but later if one is mowed
off (not having noticed it) there is a cloud of brown spores. I have pulled off
a lump of raised tarmac and the thing is there. Can I pour some sort of killer
concoction onto it and if so what please?

No.

The puffballs are merely the fruiting bodies of a mycelium that may
extend for a considerable distance. Anything that would kill that
would also pollute the ground water.

The root cause is, I am afraid, that your drive has been inadequately
constructed. A thin layer of tarmac is notorious for breaking up,
whether by puffballs, shrub and tree roots, vehicles turning sharply
or anything else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:48 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"Pen Phill" wrote in message
Hi All

How can I get rid of a couple of pufball fungi that are pushing up tarmac

on my
driveway? I have had them growing at the edge of the lawn before and have

just
dig them out. They are grey and quite hard at first but later if one is

mowed
off (not having noticed it) there is a cloud of brown spores. I have

pulled off
a lump of raised tarmac and the thing is there. Can I pour some sort of

killer
concoction onto it and if so what please?

Yummy. Eat them you lucky thing.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Pen Phill wrote:

How can I get rid of a couple of pufball fungi that are pushing up

tarmac on my
driveway? I have had them growing at the edge of the lawn before

and have just
dig them out. They are grey and quite hard at first but later if

one is mowed
off (not having noticed it) there is a cloud of brown spores. I

have pulled off
a lump of raised tarmac and the thing is there. Can I pour some

sort of killer
concoction onto it and if so what please?

No.

You might have reminded the OP that giant puffballs are edible.
Actually, sliced into steaks and fried in garlick butter they are
delicious.

The puffballs are merely the fruiting bodies of a mycelium that may
extend for a considerable distance. Anything that would kill that
would also pollute the ground water.

The root cause is, I am afraid, that your drive has been

inadequately
constructed. A thin layer of tarmac is notorious for breaking up,
whether by puffballs, shrub and tree roots, vehicles turning sharply
or anything else.

Franz

Old 11-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

You might have reminded the OP that giant puffballs are edible.
Actually, sliced into steaks and fried in garlick butter they are
delicious.

He should be so lucky. The chance of a random puffball occurrence
being giant ones is, what?, 0.01% ?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "ex WGS Hamm" contains these words:

I think it is a nice insult.
"Oh puffballs to you mate" , sort of thing.

Just so long as it's not delivered in a northern accent.......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Franz Heymann

Franz Heymann wrote:

You might have reminded the OP that giant puffballs are edible.
Actually, sliced into steaks and fried in garlick butter they are
delicious.

He should be so lucky. The chance of a random puffball occurrence
being giant ones is, what?, 0.01% ?

Probably. {:-))

Franz

Old 11-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Pen Phill

Thanks for the replies getting rid of the fungi-edible or no. Out of 500 sq
metres or so of drive laid it's the only bit affected. I suppose I shall just
have to carefully dig them both out and refill the hole with fresh tarmac. I am
rather surprised they could push it up....lowly thing.
Phil