Old 12-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Glyphosate and worms

I use glyphosate regularly in my garden, as I have been convinced of
how quickly it disappears from the scene.
I do, however one blank area in my assessment of its possible negative
qualities: Has anybody any information about its effect on the worm
population in the soil?

Franz

Old 12-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes
I use glyphosate regularly in my garden, as I have been convinced of
how quickly it disappears from the scene.
I do, however one blank area in my assessment of its possible negative
qualities: Has anybody any information about its effect on the worm
population in the soil?

The glyphosate itself is unlikely to do them much harm, but the wetting
agents used in commercial formulations might not be too good for worms.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 12-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Oxymel of Squill

these folk will know
http://www.graigfarm.co.uk/wormery.htm

Old 12-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Emrys Davies

http://www.ems.org/cocaine/glyphosate_effects.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:51 PM
David Hill

Franz asked...." Has anybody any information about its effect on the worm
population in the soil? ........."

No information as such, but
Glyphosate should be sprayed when the plants are dry and no rain is expected
for several hours.
Glyphosate is inactivated upon contact with the soil, even though once taken
into the plant, through the leaf, it works over a period of up to 3 weeks.
When the ground is dry then the worms stay down and out of the way of the
chemical.

"Glyphosate is strongly adsorbed to soil, with little potential for leaching
to ground water. Microbes in the soil readily and completely degrade it even
under low temperature conditions. It tends to adhere to sediments when
released to water. Glyphosate does not tend to accumulate in aquatic
life".(United States Environmental Protection Agency )

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Franz Heymann

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
these folk will know
http://www.graigfarm.co.uk/wormery.htm

Many thanks. I have sent them an email.

Watch this space.

Franz

Old 12-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

I use glyphosate regularly in my garden, as I have been convinced

of
how quickly it disappears from the scene.
I do, however one blank area in my assessment of its possible

negative
qualities: Has anybody any information about its effect on the

worm
population in the soil?

http://www.ems.org/cocaine/glyphosate_effects.html

I had a look at it. My first impression is that it is produced by an
organisation with an axe to grind. My second impression is that they
mention soil arthropods, but have nothing to say about earthworms.

Franz

Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Phil L

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: "Emrys Davies" wrote in message
:: ...
::
::: "Franz Heymann" wrote in
::: message ...
::
:::: I use glyphosate regularly in my garden, as I have been
:::: convinced of how quickly it disappears from the scene.
:::: I do, however one blank area in my assessment of its possible
:::: negative qualities: Has anybody any information about its
:::: effect on the worm population in the soil?
::
::: http://www.ems.org/cocaine/glyphosate_effects.html
::
:: I had a look at it. My first impression is that it is produced by
:: an organisation with an axe to grind. My second impression is
:: that they mention soil arthropods, but have nothing to say about
:: earthworms.
::
:: Franz

"A study in New Zealand showed that glyphosate significantly affects the
development and survival of one of the most common worms in its agricultural
soils. Applications every 15 days at low doses (1/20 the normal dose)
reduced growth and increased the time for reaching maturity and mortality."

They say that the worms were treated every 15 days(!) then go on to say that
growth was 'reduced' and time to reach mortality 'increased'??????? - are
they saying that it will make worms live longer? - no figures are mentioned.
They do have an axe to grind though and I am loathe to beleive this type of
site.

Old 13-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Franz Heymann

"Phil L" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
[...]

I agree entirely with you. Information from campaign organisations of
any kind is all too often tainted to be useful for any purpose except
furthering the aims of the organisation.

Franz