GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ceanothus repens (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85110-ceanothus-repens.html)

Lee and Kath 17-10-2004 09:49 AM

Ceanothus repens

I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but all the other shrubs are
healthy.

It is in an area which we leave quite wild - do not spray (we don't do that anyway) or weed. Has
anyone got any ideas about what happened?

Kath

JennyC 17-10-2004 10:45 AM

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished

and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I

noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but

all the other shrubs are
healthy.

It is in an area which we leave quite wild - do not spray (we don't do that

anyway) or weed. Has
anyone got any ideas about what happened?

Kath

Vine weevils ?? They got mine..........
Jenny

Sacha 17-10-2004 11:57 AM

On 17/10/04 10:45, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished

and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I

noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but

all the other shrubs are
healthy.

It is in an area which we leave quite wild - do not spray (we don't do that

anyway) or weed. Has
anyone got any ideas about what happened?

Kath

Vine weevils ?? They got mine..........
Jenny

Or hard cutting back by any chance? They don't like that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rod 17-10-2004 06:19 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:49:44 +0100, Lee and Kath
wrote:

I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but all the other shrubs are
healthy.

Seems to be something Ceanothus do from time to time. I've had 'em
live anything from 2-30 years, (saw one at Powys Castle said to be
over 70 and it looked it, I would have had it out years ago. They do
get a bit ropey looking with great age.)

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Lee and Kath 31-10-2004 09:12 AM

Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. Wouldn't Vine Weevil attack other plants nearby?

2. I haven't done much cutting back, just the odd branch which was too long.

3. It doesn't look old and tired. It's brown and dead - top to bottom.

Never mind. It was good while it lasted. Can I replant nearby?

Kath

JennyC 31-10-2004 04:13 PM

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. Wouldn't Vine Weevil attack other plants nearby?

Yes

2. I haven't done much cutting back, just the odd branch which was too long.
3. It doesn't look old and tired. It's brown and dead - top to bottom.
Never mind. It was good while it lasted. Can I replant nearby?

Kath

I'd check for VW's before doing so! But in principle yes.
Jenny