Old 17-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Lee and Kath

Default Ceanothus repens

I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but all the other shrubs are
healthy.

It is in an area which we leave quite wild - do not spray (we don't do that anyway) or weed. Has
anyone got any ideas about what happened?

Kath
Old 17-10-2004, 10:45 AM
JennyC

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished

and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I

noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but

all the other shrubs are
healthy.

It is in an area which we leave quite wild - do not spray (we don't do that

anyway) or weed. Has
anyone got any ideas about what happened?

Kath

Vine weevils ?? They got mine..........
Jenny

Old 17-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Rod

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:49:44 +0100, Lee and Kath
wrote:

I have had a Ceanothus for about 5 years on a semi shaded bank. It flourished and has looked
fabulous each spring with loads of mid blue flowers and arching branches.

It was gorgeous again this spring but as I went down to gather the apples I noticed that it is
completely dead. Every bit of it is brown, like a beech hedge's leaves, but all the other shrubs are
healthy.

Seems to be something Ceanothus do from time to time. I've had 'em
live anything from 2-30 years, (saw one at Powys Castle said to be
over 70 and it looked it, I would have had it out years ago. They do
get a bit ropey looking with great age.)

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 31-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Lee and Kath

Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. Wouldn't Vine Weevil attack other plants nearby?

2. I haven't done much cutting back, just the odd branch which was too long.

3. It doesn't look old and tired. It's brown and dead - top to bottom.

Never mind. It was good while it lasted. Can I replant nearby?

Kath

Old 31-10-2004, 04:13 PM
JennyC

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
Thank you for all your suggestions.

1. Wouldn't Vine Weevil attack other plants nearby?

Yes

2. I haven't done much cutting back, just the odd branch which was too long.
3. It doesn't look old and tired. It's brown and dead - top to bottom.
Never mind. It was good while it lasted. Can I replant nearby?

Kath

I'd check for VW's before doing so! But in principle yes.
Jenny