Old 23-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Aardvark

Default Fig

I would like to propagate a fig tree from seed. I have the fig, which
I collected from the ground beneath a tree in a London park.

Are the seeds of my fig likely to be viable? I have read that figs
are polinated by a parasitic wasp. This little thing has to climb
into the fruit to reach the flowers which are inside the fig.

Do we have those intrepid adventurers of the wasp world in this
country?

thanks

Phil
Old 23-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Kay

In article , Aardvark
writes

I would like to propagate a fig tree from seed. I have the fig, which
I collected from the ground beneath a tree in a London park.

Are the seeds of my fig likely to be viable? I have read that figs
are polinated by a parasitic wasp. This little thing has to climb
into the fruit to reach the flowers which are inside the fig.

Do we have those intrepid adventurers of the wasp world in this
country?

No, we don't have the wasp.
The figs we grow here fortunately re able to develop without being
pollinated.

--
Kay

Old 23-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Aardvark

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:21:03 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Aardvark
writes

I would like to propagate a fig tree from seed. I have the fig, which
I collected from the ground beneath a tree in a London park.

Are the seeds of my fig likely to be viable? I have read that figs
are polinated by a parasitic wasp. This little thing has to climb
into the fruit to reach the flowers which are inside the fig.

Do we have those intrepid adventurers of the wasp world in this
country?

No, we don't have the wasp.
The figs we grow here fortunately re able to develop without being
pollinated.

Many thanks, fig is now in compost.

I might try to propagate from a semi-ripe cutting but not sure if this
is the right end of the year for that.

Oh well I can wait for another year.
Old 25-10-2004, 08:51 AM
BAC

"Aardvark" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:21:03 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Aardvark
writes

I would like to propagate a fig tree from seed. I have the fig, which
I collected from the ground beneath a tree in a London park.

Are the seeds of my fig likely to be viable? I have read that figs
are polinated by a parasitic wasp. This little thing has to climb
into the fruit to reach the flowers which are inside the fig.

Do we have those intrepid adventurers of the wasp world in this
country?

No, we don't have the wasp.
The figs we grow here fortunately re able to develop without being
pollinated.

Many thanks, fig is now in compost.

I might try to propagate from a semi-ripe cutting but not sure if this
is the right end of the year for that.

Oh well I can wait for another year.

If you wait for next year and put some green cuttings in water, it's
remarkable easy to propagate figs.