GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Apple Tree selection (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8555-apple-tree-selection.html)

Steve Harris 19-10-2002 12:17 AM

Apple Tree selection

I'm wondering what sort of apple tree(s) to buy.

My garden in Gloucestershire has an 8' wall facing SW. It gets afternoon
sun. I like the idea of planting against it and perhaps pruning it to
keep it below the top.

I enjoy english grown Cox in season and occasionally find a nice acid
Granny Smith in Tesco. Spartan's are quite good.

A variety that would give me fruit when the shops only have insipid
imported apples would be excellent.

So the questions?

1. What variety should I get?
2. Best planting time?
3. Do I have to have at least 2 trees to make pollination work?

TIA!

Diane Epps 19-10-2002 06:06 AM

Apple Tree selection

Have you thought of contacting Brogdale who hold the national collection and
might be of some help.
http://www.brogdale.org.uk/

anton 19-10-2002 08:07 AM

Apple Tree selection

Steve Harris wrote in message ...
I'm wondering what sort of apple tree(s) to buy.

My garden in Gloucestershire has an 8' wall facing SW. It gets afternoon
sun. I like the idea of planting against it and perhaps pruning it to
keep it below the top.

I enjoy english grown Cox in season and occasionally find a nice acid
Granny Smith in Tesco. Spartan's are quite good.

A variety that would give me fruit when the shops only have insipid
imported apples would be excellent.

So the questions?

1. What variety should I get?

There are lots of apple days around the country going on
now. Find a local one and do some tasting- but be aware
that some apples are not yet in season, and some are already
finished. The people holding the apple day will probably
be very informative.

Here's my selection:
http://www.btinternet.com/~treesandfruit/

2. Best planting time?

Anytime when the leaves are off and the ground isn't frozen.
Buying bare-root trees will allow you a much wider choice than
pot-grown. Pot-grown trees can be planted all year round.

3. Do I have to have at least 2 trees to make pollination work?

Yes, unless one of your neighbours has apple trees flowering
at the right time. You can use a crab apple- and there are some
very small & very decorative ones- as a pollinator.

Steve Harris 21-10-2002 12:06 AM

Apple Tree selection

In article ,
(anton) wrote:

There are lots of apple days around the country going on
now. Find a local one and do some tasting

Thanks. Went to one today, viewed and tasted a Fiesta. Apparently, I'm
unlikely to need a pollination partner as I live in an urban area.

Steve Harris 22-10-2002 01:51 AM

Apple Tree selection

In article ,
(Kay Easton) wrote:

3. Do I have to have at least 2 trees to make pollination work?

Yes, and two varieties in flower at the same time

Does that really apply in urban areas?

Steve Harris 22-10-2002 01:51 AM

Apple Tree selection

In article ,
(anton) wrote:

You can use a crab apple- and there are some
very small & very decorative ones- as a pollinator.

Can you suggest some species? All the crabs I can find appear to be
full size. Or do you just prune any crab down to 3' x 3'?

Ken Riley 24-10-2002 05:00 PM

Apple Tree selection

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:51 +0100 (BST), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

In article ,
(Kay Easton) wrote:

3. Do I have to have at least 2 trees to make pollination work?

Yes, and two varieties in flower at the same time

Does that really apply in urban areas?

In some, yes. I was brought up in a town (not Bramhall!) where the
council built estates by razing all vegetation to make a desert then
building houses on it, with grass gardens. People grew flowers and
privets but our friend planted two apple seeds and grew her own trees
- they were the wonder of the neighbourhood. I never, ever saw any
fruit trees round there.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)