Old 29-10-2004, 10:13 AM
David Hill

Franz wrote "........I still have my doubts. I have never heard of
Magpies flocking.. Are you sure they are not Jackdaws? .."

It depends on what you call a flock,
I have had flocks of up to 14 magpies here, always in the autumn , and I
presume that it is a "Family" group, from one or 2 nests, possibly 1st and
second brood.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Tumbleweed

"ned" wrote in message
Reece wrote:
I hope I do not get banished for being slightly off topic but how

can
I discourage Magpies from coming into my garden. There are more than
20 nest in the trees bordering my property but they are on
conservation ground. At any one time during the early morning there
can be as many as 12 Magpies on my roof.
They are bullying the small garden birds I am sure.

Any help would be brilliant.

I know its a daft question but, are you sure they are magpies?
They usually pair up in twos. I've never seen a dozen together.

You must be joking, I will often see 10+ together on the field at the back
of my house.

Tw

Old 29-10-2004, 07:48 PM
ned

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

"ned" wrote in message

snip

I know its a daft question but, are you sure they are magpies?
They usually pair up in twos. I've never seen a dozen together.

You must be joking, I will often see 10+ together on the field at

the back
of my house.

Although they can lay upto (I think) 8 eggs, I've never seen a family
group of more than 6 around here.
And I've always thought that they were pretty territorial.
:-)) So no, I wasn't joking. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 15.10.2004

Old 29-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Mike Lyle

ned wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

"ned" wrote in message

snip

I know its a daft question but, are you sure they are magpies?
They usually pair up in twos. I've never seen a dozen together.

You must be joking, I will often see 10+ together on the field at
the back of my house.

Although they can lay upto (I think) 8 eggs, I've never seen a

family
group of more than 6 around here.
And I've always thought that they were pretty territorial.
:-)) So no, I wasn't joking. :-))

I think what happens is that the fledged young of the year hang about
together -- I counted a group of thirteen once -- before the
survivors disperse to seek their fortunes. I imagine two families
might often get together for a while.

Mike.

Old 30-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Josie

Message from Paul D.Smith on Thu, 28 Oct
2004 09:29:15 Magpies:

encourage crows who actively "shoo off" magpies if they get
too near. .

And how does one go about that?

Old 30-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Josie wrote:
Message from Paul D.Smith on Thu, 28

Oct
2004 09:29:15 Magpies:

encourage crows who actively "shoo off" magpies if they get
too near. .

And how does one go about that?

The traditional method is to put a dead sheep in the middle of the
lawn.

Mike.

Thank you: MAGPIES Gerry Australia 0 06-02-2004 07:54 AM
Thank you: MAGPIES Gerry Australia 0 06-02-2004 07:21 AM
Thank you: MAGPIES Gerry Australia 0 06-02-2004 07:02 AM
Magpies Andrew Valiukas Edible Gardening 3 18-10-2003 04:02 PM
How long can magpies live? Harry Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:35 AM