Old 01-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Duncan Heenan

Default Asparagus

I've planted asparagus for the first time this year, and now I have a dozen
plants in the garden, each feathery and about 18" high. How should I look
after them during the winter to stand some chance of a first crop next year
please?

Old 01-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Mike Lyle

Duncan Heenan wrote:
I've planted asparagus for the first time this year, and now I have

dozen plants in the garden, each feathery and about 18" high. How
should I look after them during the winter to stand some chance of

first crop next year please?

I'd be inclined not to cut any till 2006, unless the crowns you put
in were already two years old. All you have to do now is cut off this
year's stems, and give the whole bed a good two-inch layer of rotted
muck or weed-free compost. Even in winter it's best to keep an eye
open for weeds.

Mike.

Old 01-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Jim

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
I've planted asparagus for the first time this year, and now I have a

dozen
plants in the garden, each feathery and about 18" high. How should I look
after them during the winter to stand some chance of a first crop next

year
please?

I don't know the answer Duncan, but I want to put some in also. I'll wait to
see what the thread brings out.

Old 01-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:30:44 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Duncan Heenan wrote:
I've planted asparagus for the first time this year, and now I have

dozen plants in the garden, each feathery and about 18" high. How
should I look after them during the winter to stand some chance of

first crop next year please?

I'd be inclined not to cut any till 2006, unless the crowns you put
in were already two years old. All you have to do now is cut off this
year's stems, and give the whole bed a good two-inch layer of rotted
muck or weed-free compost. Even in winter it's best to keep an eye
open for weeds.

Surely you wouldn't cut off green stems? I let them die down
completely to brown stems and then remove them. Otherwise treatment
as above and DON'T cut any next year. It is worth the wait. I have 6
plants but now have and extra 9 grown from seed this summer. They
will not be touched AT LEAST until 2006.......

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

Duncan Heenan wrote:
[...]

Good point about the top growth: I was assuming it was dying off
already. Duncan, I'd certainly wait till it's yellow: this is a sign
that the leaves aren't bringing any more food back to the crowns.

I'm sure it's OK to cut a few shoots next season if the crowns were
already two years old when they went in; but it won't hurt to wait --
I know I'd wait.

Mike.

Old 02-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Duncan Heenan

wrote:

Duncan Heenan wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
In fact they were all grown this year from seed (which takes for ever to
germinate!). So I guess it's patience, patience for another year +. Would
harvesting some (if there are any) next year actually harm them, or just not
be tasty?

Old 02-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Duncan Heenan wrote:
wrote:

Duncan Heenan wrote:
[...]

It would weaken the plants if you harvested any: they need to be at
least three years old to be big and strong enough to lose some of
their leaves without ill effect.

You mention that these are seedlings, though: this brings in another
problem. It's generally more productive if you have only male plants,
so it's traditional best practice to take out any females (the ones
which produce berries) and replace them with males. So I'd sow some
more seed, or buy in a few male crowns. This isn't compulsory, but
why spoil a long-term ship for a short-term saving?

Mike.