Old 03-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Klara

Default plant ID?

Could anyone identify this from my description? I bought it at a fete
and have loved it all summer:

The leaves look rather like rocket. The flower is a five-pointed star;
the strange thing is that while the flower is mauve/purple from the
front, it is pure white from the back. It has a lovely scent.

Flowered enthusiastically in a small tub all summer, and still has a few
blooms.

Thanks!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Cereus-validus.

Yep, that's a plant alright!!!!

With five parted flowers, its definitely not a mustard (rocket).

There's nothing like enthusiastic flowering. The constant drone of
"Yippee!!!" must get annoying after a while.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:45:19 +0000, Klara wrote:

Could anyone identify this from my description? I bought it at a fete
and have loved it all summer:

The leaves look rather like rocket. The flower is a five-pointed star;
the strange thing is that while the flower is mauve/purple from the
front, it is pure white from the back. It has a lovely scent.

Flowered enthusiastically in a small tub all summer, and still has a few
blooms.

My Isotoma has feathery leaves like some rocket, and has 5-pointed
starry flowers, still blooming now, BUT mine has no scent, so I am
very curious.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Klara

Could anyone identify this from my description? I bought it at a fete
and have loved it all summer:

The leaves look rather like rocket. The flower is a five-pointed star;
the strange thing is that while the flower is mauve/purple from the
front, it is pure white from the back. It has a lovely scent.

Flowered enthusiastically in a small tub all summer, and still has a few
blooms.

My Isotoma has feathery leaves like some rocket, and has 5-pointed
starry flowers, still blooming now, BUT mine has no scent, so I am
very curious.

Pam in Bristol

It does look rather like blue Isotoma, but only five petals, not six.
Also, particularly strange in that only the front of the petal is
blue/mauve, the back is white - as if it had been painted. And the scent
is really strong and sweet.

I have no idea whether it's an annual or perennial, so I'll give it some
protection, just in case...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin