GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   vine advise (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86130-vine-advise.html)

P Williamson 07-11-2004 03:16 PM

vine advise

I'd like to see if I could get a grapvive to grow outside. I(near
liverpool) any suggestions or recommended vairieties would be welcome.

PW

David Rance 08-11-2004 08:54 AM

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, P Williamson wrote:

I'd like to see if I could get a grapvive to grow outside. I(near
liverpool) any suggestions or recommended vairieties would be welcome.

All grape vines are hardy. The question you have to ask is what grape
variety will ripen satisfactorily in your latitude. Also, do you suffer
from late frosts? If so then you will need a means of protecting the
flowers as frost will kill off the new shoots. An established vine will
recover but either won't produce any more flowers that year or, if it
does, the grapes will mature too late to ripen.

A good place to plant a vine would be against a south facing wall. My
experience is that the heat stored by the wall during the day is enough
to protect the vine against most spring frosts.

For advice on grape varieties try http://www.vigoltd.com

David
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

David Rance 08-11-2004 09:06 AM

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, David Rance wrote:

For advice on grape varieties try http://www.vigoltd.com

Actually this would be easier: