Old 07-11-2004, 03:16 PM
P Williamson

Default vine advise

I'd like to see if I could get a grapvive to grow outside. I(near
liverpool) any suggestions or recommended vairieties would be welcome.

PW

Old 08-11-2004, 08:54 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, P Williamson wrote:

I'd like to see if I could get a grapvive to grow outside. I(near
liverpool) any suggestions or recommended vairieties would be welcome.

All grape vines are hardy. The question you have to ask is what grape
variety will ripen satisfactorily in your latitude. Also, do you suffer
from late frosts? If so then you will need a means of protecting the
flowers as frost will kill off the new shoots. An established vine will
recover but either won't produce any more flowers that year or, if it
does, the grapes will mature too late to ripen.

A good place to plant a vine would be against a south facing wall. My
experience is that the heat stored by the wall during the day is enough
to protect the vine against most spring frosts.

For advice on grape varieties try http://www.vigoltd.com

David
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 08-11-2004, 09:06 AM
David Rance

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, David Rance wrote:

For advice on grape varieties try http://www.vigoltd.com

Actually this would be easier:

http://www.vigoltd.com/commercial/grapevines.asp

David
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Hummingbird Vine=Trumpet Vine? Suzie-Q Gardening 3 16-01-2005 12:05 AM
rosary vine or string of heart advise needed Seska Vedek Plant Biology 2 22-07-2003 08:28 PM
Filter/pump advise Bob H Ponds 4 15-02-2003 12:39 AM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM