Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
**bg**

Default Canadian WW2 memorial trees removed...?

IIRC, a year or so ago I heard a news item about some trees in the UK being
removed to make way for a motorway or some such.

In some fashion they were a Memorial to Canadian WW2 Soldiers...?

Do you have any information on this project?

TIA

-rj-

www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

Old 08-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Phil L

**bg** wrote:
:: IIRC, a year or so ago I heard a news item about some trees in the
:: UK being removed to make way for a motorway or some such.
::
:: In some fashion they were a Memorial to Canadian WW2 Soldiers...?
::
:: Do you have any information on this project?
::

There is mention of it here in official uk Govt papers:
http://www.parliament.the-stationery...rittens-4.html
or
http://snipurl.com/aho3
Sycamore Trees, Bramshott
Mr. Spellar: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will make a
statement on the destruction of the memorial avenue of sycamore trees at
Bramshott on the A3 Portsmouth road. [31724]

Mr. Watts: The trees, planted as a memorial to Canadian service men, were
removed in the interest of road safety and the long-term health of the
roadside environment. The decision to remove the trees was taken only after
extensive consultations with interested parties, including the Canadian high
commission.

HTH

Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Ford Prefect

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:24:01 GMT, "**bg**"
wrote:

IIRC, a year or so ago I heard a news item about some trees in the UK being
removed to make way for a motorway or some such.

In some fashion they were a Memorial to Canadian WW2 Soldiers...?

Do you have any information on this project?

TIA

-rj-

www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

It's on the A3(M) road in Hampshire (near Hindhead) something to do
with the Canadian Airforce.
Ford

Very OT- Pitures from WW2 and now Bob Hobden United Kingdom 35 04-08-2014 03:23 PM
need trees removed J.G alt.forestry 0 23-07-2003 11:02 AM
Anyone have a Ginkgo 'Autumn Gold' they want removed in California? NEEDS TO BE MALE. Kira Dirlik North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM
email address removed Keith D United Kingdom 1 10-04-2003 10:20 PM
How do I remove new shoots from a removed tree? Robin Henderson Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM