GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8619-outside-light-question-dont-flame-me-light-will-garden.html)

[email protected] 24-10-2002 08:57 PM

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-)

Hi,

I know this isn't a plant or pest question so apologies if this
doesn't fit within the group. But i thought if anyone knows the answer
you lot will.

Does anyone know if its possible to buy an outside floodlight that
will come on at dusk at say 60 watts BUT if anyone crosses the path of
the PIR it will come on stronger say 300w.

Or better still if there is any way i can add a sensor to my existing
security lighting that will allow for the dual mode?

If anyone knows of one will they let me know.

p.s. I'd rather it not be once of those ugly bulkhead floodlight
types.

pps. the garden is 17m x 17m.

Jane Ransom 24-10-2002 09:04 PM

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-)

In article ,
writes
Hi,

I know this isn't a plant or pest question so apologies if this
doesn't fit within the group. But i thought if anyone knows the answer
you lot will.

Does anyone know if its possible to buy an outside floodlight that
will come on at dusk at say 60 watts

I was just wondering why you want a light on outside all the time once
it gets dark?

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Mike 24-10-2002 09:16 PM

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-)

In article ,
writes
Hi,

I know this isn't a plant or pest question so apologies if this
doesn't fit within the group. But i thought if anyone knows the answer
you lot will.

Does anyone know if its possible to buy an outside floodlight that
will come on at dusk at say 60 watts BUT if anyone crosses the path of
the PIR it will come on stronger say 300w.

Or better still if there is any way i can add a sensor to my existing
security lighting that will allow for the dual mode?

If anyone knows of one will they let me know.

p.s. I'd rather it not be once of those ugly bulkhead floodlight
types.

pps. the garden is 17m x 17m.

I have a beauty from B & Q. Not quite what you want with regards to the
amount of light, but it is an attractive 'Coach Light' with a bulb which
is on half brilliance when it gets dark and has a sensor which pulls it
up to full brilliance when triggered.

Adjustable range, we have it outside our new patio doors :-)) Looks
nice and does what we want.

Mike who has just come in and used it :-))

It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody bothers
to ask you the questions.

[email protected] 24-10-2002 09:41 PM

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-)

The area I want to light is over a decking / patio area where we would
like to sit out and eat / drink etc.

Sue & Bob Hobden 24-10-2002 11:43 PM

"Mike" wrote in message

I have a beauty from B & Q. Not quite what you want with regards to the
amount of light, but it is an attractive 'Coach Light' with a bulb which
is on half brilliance when it gets dark and has a sensor which pulls it
up to full brilliance when triggered.

Adjustable range, we have it outside our new patio doors :-)) Looks
nice and does what we want.

Mike, does it use a normal bulb and what is the wattage on half and full
power?
Thought I'd ask as your answers may save (or not) a trip to B & Q at Slough.
--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site

[email protected] 25-10-2002 04:15 AM

wrote:

Does anyone know if its possible to buy an outside floodlight that
will come on at dusk at say 60 watts BUT if anyone crosses the path of
the PIR it will come on stronger say 300w.

The next door neighbor of a friend of mine has just such a thing. I know,
because I trigger it when I go out the back door at night.
A simple way if doing this would be to use a PIR light control, but connect
a solid-state dimmer across its "contacts." That way you get whatever
light level the dimmer is set for unless the sensor bypasses it and kicks
the lamp up to full brightness. Use any lamp(s) up to the rating of the
control and dimmer.

Warning- following seriously OT:
I use something similar to control the hot air furnace fan which has a wood
stove that directs heat into the cold air return. A temperature switch
over the stove turns on the fan through a solid state speed control
(designed to control motors, which aren't like lights). If the furnace
itself comes on, it's stack switch bypasses the speed control, and the fan
goes to full speed.

At least the bok choi doesn't mind the cold.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

Mike 25-10-2002 08:01 AM

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-)

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

I have a beauty from B & Q. Not quite what you want with regards to the
amount of light, but it is an attractive 'Coach Light' with a bulb which
is on half brilliance when it gets dark and has a sensor which pulls it
up to full brilliance when triggered.

Adjustable range, we have it outside our new patio doors :-)) Looks
nice and does what we want.

Mike, does it use a normal bulb

yes

and what is the wattage on half

50

and full
power?

100

Thought I'd ask as your answers may save (or not) a trip to B & Q at Slough.
--

I believe that 100 is the maximum size wattage you can put in. We have a
candle of 40 watt, so it is 20/40. Not sufficient for outside Dining.

Mike

Pacific Fleet Reunion Sept 2003 at Mill Rythe
River Class Assn Dinner Leamington Spa Sept 20th 2003.
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight

[email protected] 26-10-2002 07:46 PM

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-)

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:01:57 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Warren - UK
SpeedTrap Guide" wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for that, the light wasnt any good but they do sell the pir on
its own which is superb as it will go with the floodlights I already
have.

Which for martin & anna Sykes's benefit are light polution friendly.

Thanks steve.
Screwfix do just what you want, they are called Hi/Lo lights and the one
they have is 15watts standby and 150watts full power when the PIR is set
off. Cost is £12.13 part number is D11917-16 they do others as well
Regards
Steve
Speedtrap Info @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
Weather Page @ http://www.btinternet.com/~swarren/wx.htm

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
Does anyone know if its possible to buy an outside floodlight that
will come on at dusk at say 60 watts BUT if anyone crosses the path of
the PIR it will come on stronger say 300w.

You could just use two separate lights. That way you could position the
general purpose light so it just lit your seating area and set the

security
light higher to illuminate a much wider area. That way you won't be

causing
as much light pollution in general use.

alexmaark 09-04-2011 04:56 PM

I use something agnate to ascendancy the hot air boiler fan which has a wood stove that directs calefaction into the algid air return. A temperature switch over the stove turns on the fan through a solid accompaniment acceleration control (designed to ascendancy motors, which aren't like lights).