GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ectoplasm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8626-re-ectoplasm.html)

DaveDay34 26-10-2002 06:38 PM

Ectoplasm

Probably a polyacrylamide gel that you get in some composts that retains water
(used in hanging baskets etc)

When I was at college a lecturer was telling us about this gel. As most of you
will know it comes in a crystaline for and is mixed in with the compost when
doing hanging baskets, etc.

Anyway, he told us of when this product first came out. A local council's
parks department decided to get some to add to the compost used for its summer
bedding outside the council offices. The idea was that the gel would retain
moisture during the summer so that the council workers didn't have to keep
watering the beds outside the offices.

However, the workmen didn't bother to read the instructions which accompanied
the gel/crystals, and when the first rain fell the council office staff were
greeted at work in the morning by huge quantities of clear gel oozing from the
raised flower bed. It proceeded to flow over the raised wall and drip down the
steps in front of the offices.

I shall of course refrain from mentioning which council made this blunder, just
in case anyone works/worked for the council in question.

Dave.

Essjay001 26-10-2002 10:00 PM

Ectoplasm

snip
I shall of course refrain from mentioning which council made this
blunder, just in case anyone works/worked for the council in question.

Dave.

Aw go on tell all

Stephen Jay

"Guns and bombs and flying machines are the tools of the war
Killing people wholesale is that what men are for.
Murder rape and pillaging armed robbery and cheats.
Laser guided missiles exploding with white heat."
"The Man" SJR

Grahame Fendle 26-10-2002 10:00 PM

Ectoplasm

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

At a wild guess, you have been invaded by slime moulds, which have
properties that you would normally associate with B movies :-)

I live on an estate full of people worthy of starring in a B movie, so
there could be some merit in this.

But I recommend reading Conan Doyle "The Horror of the Heights"
which includes man-eating aerial jellyfish ....

Good God! Now I know why I don't like Conan Doyle.

Anyway, read on...

Grahame Fendle 26-10-2002 10:00 PM

Ectoplasm

"Natalie" wrote:

Spooky! A little bit early for Halloween ;-))

And Christmas, but that never stopped anyone. :-)

Grahame Fendle 26-10-2002 10:00 PM

Ectoplasm

"don" wrote:

Probably a polyacrylamide gel that you get in some composts that retains
water (used in hanging baskets etc)

Doh! Doh! Doh!

Guess who's just remembered where he planted the baskets up with Violas
just a few weeks ago!

ROFL! My wife - the non-gardener - thinks this is hysterical and will no
doubt get considerable mileage from it. Indeed, she is taking the wotsit as
I type and giving me loads of d-uh. :-(

ROFL! I was so looking forward to it being something interesting, too.

Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Tony 27-10-2002 12:08 AM

Ectoplasm

I had jelly blobs on my lawn too -- then I realised it was wallpaper paste my husband had
slopped out of the bucket!

Regards,

"Grahame Fendle" wrote

Seriously, there are two huge piles of jelly on my lawn, in an area that
gets little sun and is currently very damp. It's perfectly clear, by the
way.

Mary Fisher 27-10-2002 11:52 AM

Ectoplasm

"Grahame Fendle" wrote in message
"don" wrote:

Probably a polyacrylamide gel that you get in some composts that retains
water (used in hanging baskets etc)

Doh! Doh! Doh!

Guess who's just remembered where he planted the baskets up with Violas
just a few weeks ago!

ROFL! My wife - the non-gardener - thinks this is hysterical and will no
doubt get considerable mileage from it. Indeed, she is taking the wotsit

as
I type and giving me loads of d-uh. :-(

ROFL! I was so looking forward to it being something interesting, too.

Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Well, OK, but it's been a most entertaining thread, thanks!

Mary