GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hydrangeas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86270-hydrangeas.html)

Tom Atkinson 10-11-2004 12:53 PM

Hydrangeas

My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder what
is the best way to overwinter them. ?
Tom Atkinson

Nick Maclaren 10-11-2004 01:06 PM

In article ,
"Tom Atkinson" writes:

| My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
| and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder what
| is the best way to overwinter them. ?

It depends where you are. They are close to hardy, and are quite
commonly grown as deciduous shrubs in the open - in the warmer
parts, they have no trouble, but tend to get very cut back by
hard frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tom Atkinson 10-11-2004 01:22 PM

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tom Atkinson" writes:

| My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
| and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder

what
| is the best way to overwinter them. ?

It depends where you are. They are close to hardy, and are quite
commonly grown as deciduous shrubs in the open - in the warmer
parts, they have no trouble, but tend to get very cut back by
hard frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I live in Northern Ireland. I could leave them in a sheltered spot
outside but presume they would be cut back by frost.
Regards
Tom Atkinson

Peter Stockdale 10-11-2004 02:02 PM

"Tom Atkinson" writes:

| My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
| and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder
what
| is the best way to overwinter them. ?

If you have a garden with well drained soil you could "plant" the pots in
the soil to protect the roots from frost.

If your ground is heavy - try to incorporate some drainage at the hole
bottoms to reduce waterlogging.

Regards
Pete www.thecanalshop.com

Sacha 10-11-2004 04:28 PM

On 10/11/04 13:22, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

snip

I live in Northern Ireland. I could leave them in a sheltered spot
outside but presume they would be cut back by frost.

Don't take off the dead flower heads or trim them back until spring. It's
said to help give some protection from frost.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk