Old 10-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Tom Atkinson

Default Hydrangeas

My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder what
is the best way to overwinter them. ?
Tom Atkinson

Old 10-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Tom Atkinson" writes:

| My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
| and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder what
| is the best way to overwinter them. ?

It depends where you are. They are close to hardy, and are quite
commonly grown as deciduous shrubs in the open - in the warmer
parts, they have no trouble, but tend to get very cut back by
hard frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Tom Atkinson

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tom Atkinson" writes:

| My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
| and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder

what
| is the best way to overwinter them. ?

It depends where you are. They are close to hardy, and are quite
commonly grown as deciduous shrubs in the open - in the warmer
parts, they have no trouble, but tend to get very cut back by
hard frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I live in Northern Ireland. I could leave them in a sheltered spot
outside but presume they would be cut back by frost.
Regards
Tom Atkinson

Old 10-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Tom Atkinson" writes:

| My greenhouse (and my neighbours) is full
| and overflowing. I still have a number of hydrangeas in pots and wonder
what
| is the best way to overwinter them. ?

If you have a garden with well drained soil you could "plant" the pots in
the soil to protect the roots from frost.

If your ground is heavy - try to incorporate some drainage at the hole
bottoms to reduce waterlogging.

Regards
Pete www.thecanalshop.com

Old 10-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Sacha

On 10/11/04 13:22, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

snip

I live in Northern Ireland. I could leave them in a sheltered spot
outside but presume they would be cut back by frost.

Don't take off the dead flower heads or trim them back until spring. It's
said to help give some protection from frost.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM