GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brussel Sprouts? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86364-brussel-sprouts.html)

[email protected] 12-11-2004 10:59 PM

Brussel Sprouts?

I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts are
quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Mike Lyle 12-11-2004 11:12 PM

wrote:
I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts
are quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

Eat the disgusting things as soon as possible, I'd say!

But you don't need to harvest them until either they're big enough
for you, or they look like going over. But if you_do_ let Brussels
things blow later on, I've found the clusters of flower-buds taste
much better and look very nice on the plate.

Mike.

Alan Gould 13-11-2004 06:08 AM

In article ,
writes

I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts are
quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

Many Brussels Sprout varieties are intended to be ready to crop for
Xmas, but there are earlier and later versions. Developing sprout
buttons can be taken and eaten at any size, but we find that the smaller
ones are usually much nicer to eat. They certainly should be cropped
before the buttons begin to open, which usually begins at the lower
ones. I personally prefer to eat sprouts shredded raw with a little
dressing on them, they are tasty and crunchy like that. Those which are
boiled only need to be brought up to boiling point briefly, simmering
them makes them go mushy and watery, the main reason why this excellent
vegetable is less popular than it might be.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Robert 13-11-2004 08:04 AM

wrote:
: I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts
: are quite small.
:
: Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

It depends what variety you have. I have a few different varieties and have
had a few meals with them so far. Some of the later ones are still quite
small and I am hoping they will develop. Delicious sprouts, not overcooked,
excellent

Bob Hobden 13-11-2004 11:08 AM

"Mike Lyle" wrote
I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts
are quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

Eat the disgusting things as soon as possible, I'd say!

Mike, have you tried the modern less bitter varieties of sprout, Icarus,
Trafalgar etc. They taste more like a summer cabbage than those oldfashioned
bitter sprouts.

--
Regards
Bob

Dwayne 13-11-2004 12:32 PM

I have read that Brussels sprouts get sweet after being frosted twice. I
would leave them alone until that happens and then start cutting them off
from the bottom up, to allow the top ones a little more time to get bigger.

Dwayne

Trevor Appleton 13-11-2004 06:05 PM

....ahhh...my all time favourite veg...have a plateful EVERY night...can
never understand the dislike of them by so many!

Rod 13-11-2004 06:39 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:32:11 GMT, "Dwayne" wrote:

I have read that Brussels sprouts get sweet after being frosted twice. I
would leave them alone until that happens and then start cutting them off
from the bottom up, to allow the top ones a little more time to get bigger.

That's a myth,. I had hoped that accumulated experience would have
killed it off by now, As others have said various varieties mature at
different times but ime they are all worse after being frosted (after
they thaw they start to decompose on the plant). As to size of buttons
- we and probably others had a very dry June/July and if you didn't
keep the plants going well by watering and feeding at that time then
yes you will have small plants and correspondingly small sprouts.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Bruce 14-11-2004 10:14 PM

Too true! Just cooked then basted in butter till they're nutty and sweet.
Mmmmmm.....

And don't dig them up in Spring. Let the tops sprout and use them for the
sweetest, most delicious stir fry greens ever. Probably the best bit.

-service-com...

Trevor Appleton 15-11-2004 07:31 PM

"Bruce" wrote in message
Too true! Just cooked then basted in butter till they're nutty and sweet.
Mmmmmm.....

And don't dig them up in Spring. Let the tops sprout and use them for the
sweetest, most delicious stir fry greens ever. Probably the best bit.

You sound just like Bob Flowerdew (is that a made up name or wot?)