GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fallen eaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86588-fallen-eaves.html)

Pam Moore 18-11-2004 02:26 PM

Fallen eaves

I want to buy a pair of those leaf grubbers; two plastic things with
"fingers" on one edge, for picking up leaves. My front garden, which
is gravelled and planted, is covered with all the neighbourhood leaves
as well as my own. A rake would likely damage the plants.
Now I cannot drive, it is not easy to get to the garden centres or B&Q
type places.
I cannot justify buying a vac for one small garden.
Can anyone tell me who sells them, or if there is somewhere on line
which sells them?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Richard Sterry 18-11-2004 04:23 PM

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I want to buy a pair of those leaf grubbers; two plastic things with
"fingers" on one edge, for picking up leaves. My front garden, which
is gravelled and planted, is covered with all the neighbourhood leaves
as well as my own. A rake would likely damage the plants.
Now I cannot drive, it is not easy to get to the garden centres or B&Q
type places.
I cannot justify buying a vac for one small garden.
Can anyone tell me who sells them, or if there is somewhere on line
which sells them?
TIA

Can't help you with a source, I'm afraid, but the pair I own were marketed
under the name "Big Hands". Can you not get a kindly relative, friend or
neighbour to keep an eye out for some in local garden centres or DIY sheds?

Rick

Sacha 18-11-2004 04:43 PM

"The fallen eaves drift past my window............. " ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Tumbleweed 18-11-2004 07:04 PM

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I want to buy a pair of those leaf grubbers; two plastic things with
"fingers" on one edge, for picking up leaves. My front garden, which
is gravelled and planted, is covered with all the neighbourhood leaves
as well as my own. A rake would likely damage the plants.
Now I cannot drive, it is not easy to get to the garden centres or B&Q
type places.
I cannot justify buying a vac for one small garden.
Can anyone tell me who sells them, or if there is somewhere on line
which sells them?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

google is your friend

http://www.ahsdirect.co.uk/category/95/

never used this place, so dunno if they are any good at delivering but now
you know what its called you can always google for other suppliers

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Sally Thompson 18-11-2004 08:37 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:26:23 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

I want to buy a pair of those leaf grubbers; two plastic things with
"fingers" on one edge, for picking up leaves. My front garden, which
is gravelled and planted, is covered with all the neighbourhood leaves
as well as my own. A rake would likely damage the plants.
Now I cannot drive, it is not easy to get to the garden centres or B&Q
type places.
I cannot justify buying a vac for one small garden.
Can anyone tell me who sells them, or if there is somewhere on line
which sells them?

Pam, I have a feeling that Lakeland Limited do them. Unfortunately
their web site is down at the moment www.lakelandlimited.com but you
could always phone them to enquire on 015394 88100 or email them on

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:

Pam Moore 18-11-2004 09:03 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:04:23 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I want to buy a pair of those leaf grubbers; two plastic things with
"fingers" on one edge, for picking up leaves. My front garden, which
is gravelled and planted, is covered with all the neighbourhood leaves
as well as my own. A rake would likely damage the plants.
Now I cannot drive, it is not easy to get to the garden centres or B&Q
type places.
I cannot justify buying a vac for one small garden.
Can anyone tell me who sells them, or if there is somewhere on line
which sells them?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

google is your friend

http://www.ahsdirect.co.uk/category/95/

never used this place, so dunno if they are any good at delivering but now
you know what its called you can always google for other suppliers

Thanks Tumbleweed. Sadly the postage costs more than the item so I
shall have to phone round some garden centres and then get someone to
take me.

Pam in Bristol

Pam Moore 18-11-2004 09:07 PM

Thanks for the serenade, Sacha! I just wish they would drift past
someone else's window!

Thanks Richard. At least I know what they are called now!

Pam in Bristol

Tumbleweed 18-11-2004 09:50 PM

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:04:23 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I wouldnt bet on that being any cheaper. If they are £4.99 +postage on the
net they are probably £9.99 at your local GC.

Anyway, what about here, £7.50 inc P+P

http://www.gardening-emporium.co.uk/...products_id=72

Steve Harris 19-11-2004 03:24 PM

In article ,
(Richard Sterry) wrote:

"Big Hands"

Mine broke after a few weeks :-(.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Steve Harris 19-11-2004 03:24 PM

In article ,
(Tumbleweed) wrote:

I wouldnt bet on that being any cheaper

Always check your local Wilkinsons store (although, currently, gardening
is out of season) I have sometimes looked at things in "proper" garden
shops priced at a fiver than Wilko want 1.25 for an identical item.

Pam Moore 19-11-2004 11:03 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:24 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

"Big Hands"

Mine broke after a few weeks :-(.

Thanks for the early warning, Steve. Perhaps my own hands will last
longer!
Steve, I will try Wilkinsons next week in Bristol. I've never been in
one of their stores.
Sally, I've got a Lakeland catalogue somewhere but will check if their
website is up tomorrow.
Thanks all for your help.

Pam in Bristol

Steve Harris 20-11-2004 02:23 PM

In article ,
(Pam Moore) wrote:

I will try Wilkinsons next week in Bristol. I've never been in
one of their stores.

You may find they have no gardening stuff right now. But look around and
get the general feel - inexpensive, reasonable quality and a fair
attempt to have "everything". I would expect them to stock up with
gardening stuff again early in the new year.