GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Alan Titchmarsh (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86888-alan-titchmarsh.html)

NUFC_1892 24-11-2004 10:37 AM

Alan Titchmarsh

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

Cheryl Isaak 24-11-2004 11:40 AM

On 11/24/04 5:37 AM, in article
, "NUFC_1892"
wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

Color me green - with jealousy!

Cheryl

Duncan Heenan 24-11-2004 12:04 PM

"NUFC_1892" wrote in message
m...
Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

Thanks for the warning.

bigboard 24-11-2004 12:21 PM

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

--
The scum also rises.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Lensman 24-11-2004 03:43 PM

bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

June Hughes 24-11-2004 04:07 PM

In message , Lensman
writes
bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

Stirring mode on:) - Will you be taking along some hounds?

(PS I rather like Alan T.)
--
June Hughes

bigboard 24-11-2004 04:12 PM

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Lensman
writes
bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

Stirring mode on:) - Will you be taking along some hounds?

Only if you're coming along. /stirring mode

(PS I rather like Alan T.)

--
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject.

Dave \(Sgt. Pepper\) 24-11-2004 04:23 PM

"NUFC_1892" wrote in message
m...
Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

Not that I really needed a reason to stay away from Guildford, but I'll bank
the points anyway.
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8

Lensman 24-11-2004 05:13 PM

Martin wrote :

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:07:04 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , Lensman
writes
bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

Stirring mode on:) - Will you be taking along some hounds?

(PS I rather like Alan T.)

Somebody must. :-)

loud baying noises

Look it's only fair, 90% of Alan Titchmarshes die alone of old
age and broken paws, cowering under a piece of discarded decking,
or something.

I'm not sure what happens to the rest though...

'-)

--
/------------------------------------------------------------\
| "Why are you so paranoid, Mulder?" |

Mike 24-11-2004 05:16 PM

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

Jim & Debbie 24-11-2004 05:19 PM

but if Charlie was gonna be there........

Kay 24-11-2004 05:29 PM

In article , Lensman
writes
bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

No, no! Keep him in Guildford, I say. That means he won't be in Leeds.

--
Kay

June Hughes 24-11-2004 05:32 PM

In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.
--
June Hughes

June Hughes 24-11-2004 05:47 PM

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Lensman
writes
bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

No, no! Keep him in Guildford, I say. That means he won't be in Leeds.

I can't understand why people don't like him, although I admit to not
normally watching his programmes. I always thought of him as the Delia
Smith of gardening but inferior to Percy Thrower. I don't like that
daft programme with all the decking but I don't think it is on TV any
more.
--
June Hughes

Dave \(Sgt. Pepper\) 24-11-2004 05:48 PM

"Jim & Debbie" wrote in message
but if Charlie was gonna be there........

Ah well ok that's a bit different, there's at least two reasons to turn up
;o)

Nick Maclaren 24-11-2004 05:55 PM

In article ,
"Jim & Debbie" writes:

| but if Charlie was gonna be there........

It wouldn't be hounds that would be baying after her ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kay 24-11-2004 07:47 PM

In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Kay
writes
In article , Lensman
writes
bigboard wrote :

NUFC_1892 wrote:

Alan Titchmarsh will be doing an autograph signing tonight (Wednesday
24th November 2004) at Debenhams in Guildford, Surrey, England.

I'm forming a posse to drive him out of town. Who's with me? ;)

YEE-HAW! Saddle up '-)

No, no! Keep him in Guildford, I say. That means he won't be in Leeds.

I can't understand why people don't like him,

Irritating mock arguments with co presenters (why do programme makers
today seem to think our attention will flag unless presenters argue with
each other) and general 'I am a harmless idiot' style. And over-
exposure.

although I admit to not
normally watching his programmes. I always thought of him as the Delia
Smith of gardening

Ah, well, I don't like her either.

--
Kay

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-11-2004 08:46 PM

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

June Hughes 24-11-2004 09:58 PM

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Oh dear! He was tagged on the end. He was indeed a nice old buffer,
although I should think he would have hated being called 'nice':)

"There are two golden rules for an orchestra. Start together and finish
together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between." g
--
June Hughes

June Hughes 24-11-2004 09:59 PM

In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:32:20 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Maggie Thatcher was famous for weeding her vegetables out of the
cabinet.

Not exactly what I had in mind:)
--
June Hughes

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-11-2004 10:38 PM

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:46:28 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Until he was stopped in his tracks.

In 1961. Sadly missed by the Royal Philharmonic innit.

Mike 24-11-2004 11:06 PM

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Maggie Thatcher was famous for weeding her vegetables out of the
cabinet.
--
Martin

Thatcher's weedkiller was sprayed about willy nilly and killed many thriving
industries and manufacturing plants. Her weedkiller ruined this country and
she had the nerve to cry when she was kicked out of Downing Street. Pity she
didn't go down like lots of hardworking people did.

Nick Maclaren 24-11-2004 11:34 PM

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Maggie Thatcher was famous for weeding her vegetables out of the
cabinet.

Actually, the converse was true. Anyone who showed the slightest
bit of spine (not necessarily hawthorn, as Howes didn't have much
more than a damson) was weeded out. By the end, there were ONLY
vegetables left - with sticky willy Whitelaw being the only one
that anyone knew the name of even at the time.

A challenge: name another, and position, at the time she finally
got the most ancient Order of the Boot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike Lyle 24-11-2004 11:55 PM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin wrote:

Maggie Thatcher was famous for weeding her vegetables out of the
cabinet.

Actually, the converse was true. Anyone who showed the slightest
bit of spine (not necessarily hawthorn, as Howes didn't have much
more than a damson) was weeded out. By the end, there were ONLY
vegetables left - with sticky willy Whitelaw being the only one
that anyone knew the name of even at the time.

A challenge: name another, and position, at the time she finally
got the most ancient Order of the Boot.

Major, J: Foreign Secretary? Tebbit, N: Barehanded Ratcatcher in
Ordinary; Howard, M?: Night-Flyer Quite Extraordinary...umm...yep,
otherwise, you're dead right.

Mike.

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-11-2004 11:58 PM

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

"There are two golden rules for an orchestra. Start together and finish
together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between." g

I liked him when he was being sarcastic: soloist clarinet asked for a
note, produces brilliant warble...

"Gentlemen, you may take whichever of those notes you please..." OWTTE

Mike Lyle 25-11-2004 12:17 AM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these
words:

"There are two golden rules for an orchestra. Start together and
finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in
between." g

I liked him when he was being sarcastic: soloist clarinet asked for

note, produces brilliant warble...

"Gentlemen, you may take whichever of those notes you please..."

OWTTE

And when he was being grand. One day when he was walking from place
to place the weather got unexpectedly warmer, so he hailed a cab,
gave the driver his (?)fur coat, and said "Follow me about."

Mike.

Sacha 25-11-2004 12:19 AM

On 24/11/04 23:58, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:
snip I liked him when he was being sarcastic: soloist clarinet asked for
note, produces brilliant warble...

"Gentlemen, you may take whichever of those notes you please..." OWTTE

To a female cellist: "Madam, you have between your legs something capable
of giving pleasure to all mankind and all you can do is sit there and
scratch it."
On hearing Malcolm Sargent (whose nickname was 'Flash') was touring Japan
"Ah, Flash in Japan".
When receiving effusive cards and telegrams on his birthday "What? Nothing
from Mozart?"
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Franz Heymann 25-11-2004 05:00 AM

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from June Hughes contains these

words:
In message , Mike

writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT.

Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Which one?
The one who sold the pills?
The one who spent the profit making music?

Franz

Franz Heymann 25-11-2004 05:00 AM

"Kay" wrote in message

[snip]

I can't understand why people don't like him,

Irritating mock arguments with co presenters (why do programme

makers
today seem to think our attention will flag unless presenters argue

with
each other) and general 'I am a harmless idiot' style. And over-
exposure.

Why blame him? he's only mouthing the script.

Franz

JennyC 25-11-2004 07:11 AM

"Jim & Debbie" wrote in message
but if Charlie was gonna be there........

What is she doing nowadays?
I never see her on ZTV anymore.
Jenny

JennyC 25-11-2004 09:46 AM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:11:44 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Jim & Debbie" wrote in message
but if Charlie was gonna be there........

What is she doing nowadays?
I never see her on ZTV anymore.

What's ZTV?
Martin

Oops slip of the keyboard. Should read TV
Jenny

Mike Lyle 25-11-2004 10:44 AM

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:46:31 +0100, "JennyC"

wrote:

"Jim & Debbie" wrote in message
but if Charlie was gonna be there........

What is she doing nowadays?
I never see her on ZTV anymore.

What's ZTV?
Martin

Oops slip of the keyboard. Should read TV

Duh! I thought you had found a channel devoted to Charlie.

For a while it seemed the main channels were devoted to her, in the
gaps while rewinding the previous David Jason repeat. Possibly the
most irritating hype British TV's ever done. I'd enjoy a couple of
beers with either Alan or Tommy, though.

Mike.

jane 25-11-2004 11:44 AM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:19:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~On 24/11/04 23:58, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
~
~ "Gentlemen, you may take whichever of those notes you please..." OWTTE
~
~To a female cellist: "Madam, you have between your legs something capable
~of giving pleasure to all mankind and all you can do is sit there and
~scratch it."

SPLUTTER
Thanks, Sacha, my poor keyboard will never be the same!

(memo to self: don't drink tea and read urg simultaneously)

ROTFL

~On hearing Malcolm Sargent (whose nickname was 'Flash') was touring Japan
~"Ah, Flash in Japan".
~When receiving effusive cards and telegrams on his birthday "What? Nothing
~from Mozart?"

Oh, very good.
Methinks I'll have to go and look for other Beecham quotes...

--
jane

Mark Twain

BAC 25-11-2004 11:46 AM

wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Until he was stopped in his tracks.

In 1961. Sadly missed by the Royal Philharmonic innit.

Perhaps he took a powder?

Kay 25-11-2004 12:09 PM

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

[snip]

I can't understand why people don't like him,

Irritating mock arguments with co presenters (why do programme

makers
today seem to think our attention will flag unless presenters argue

with
each other) and general 'I am a harmless idiot' style. And over-
exposure.

Why blame him? he's only mouthing the script.

It's his choice to accept the contract that gives him the scripts.
--
Kay

Nick Maclaren 25-11-2004 12:25 PM

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Maggie Thatcher was famous for weeding her vegetables out of the
| cabinet.
|
| Actually, the converse was true. Anyone who showed the slightest
| bit of spine (not necessarily hawthorn, as Howes didn't have much
| more than a damson) was weeded out. By the end, there were ONLY
| vegetables left - with sticky willy Whitelaw being the only one
| that anyone knew the name of even at the time.
|
| A challenge: name another, and position, at the time she finally
| got the most ancient Order of the Boot.
|
| Major, J: Foreign Secretary? Tebbit, N: Barehanded Ratcatcher in
| Ordinary; Howard, M?: Night-Flyer Quite Extraordinary...umm...yep,
| otherwise, you're dead right.

I think that you will find that Tebbit had resigned three years
previously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Lensman 25-11-2004 01:52 PM

Martin wrote :

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:09:13 +0000, Kay
wrote:

Why blame him? he's only mouthing the script.

It's his choice to accept the contract that gives him the scripts.

The choice is money for old rope or a P45.

Shredded P45s make an excellent mulching compound '-)

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-11-2004 02:41 PM

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On hearing Malcolm Sargent (whose nickname was 'Flash') was touring Japan
"Ah, Flash in Japan".

On hearing of Malcolm Sargent's knighthood: "I knew he'd been doctored..."

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-11-2004 02:42 PM

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Which one?
The one who sold the pills?
The one who spent the profit making music?

I never knew owt about the former.

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-11-2004 02:44 PM

The message
from Martin contains these words:

What's ZTV?

Typo? Speaking in a cod French accent - Ze TV?