Old 25-11-2004, 10:10 AM
ajr

Default Caterpillars

Good morning,

A bit surprised to see about 20 caterpillars eating my winter cabbages this
morning. They were roughly 2-3cm long, 'hairy' and black / yellow.

What were they, and more to the point what the hell were they doing in the
garden in November?!?!! I assume that the lack of frost has meant that they
have been happily munching away since the early autumn - *******s.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 25-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Phil L

ajr wrote:
:: Good morning,
::
:: A bit surprised to see about 20 caterpillars eating my winter
:: cabbages this morning. They were roughly 2-3cm long, 'hairy' and
:: black / yellow.
::
:: What were they, and more to the point what the hell were they
:: doing in the garden in November?!?!! I assume that the lack of
:: frost has meant that they have been happily munching away since
:: the early autumn - *******s.

This site is in my favourites folder as I go there often to identify
caterpillars.

http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/

HTH

Old 25-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Philip

"ajr" wrote in message ...
Good morning,

A bit surprised to see about 20 caterpillars eating my winter cabbages this
morning. They were roughly 2-3cm long, 'hairy' and black / yellow.

What were they, and more to the point what the hell were they doing in the
garden in November?!?!! I assume that the lack of frost has meant that they
have been happily munching away since the early autumn - *******s.

Cheers,

Andrew

Do they look like these ?

http://www.srbild.de/bild/bild598.jpg

These are the ones that attack Verbascum. But thats normally in June.
Maybe you have a batch that have hatched, found no Verbascums to eat
and so are making do with whatever they can find.
Old 25-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Kay

In article , Philip
writes
"ajr" wrote in message news:41a5af78$1_1@mk-nntp-
2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
Good morning,

A bit surprised to see about 20 caterpillars eating my winter cabbages this
morning. They were roughly 2-3cm long, 'hairy' and black / yellow.

What were they, and more to the point what the hell were they doing in the
garden in November?!?!! I assume that the lack of frost has meant that they
have been happily munching away since the early autumn - *******s.

Do they look like these ?

http://www.srbild.de/bild/bild598.jpg

These are the ones that attack Verbascum. But thats normally in June.
Maybe you have a batch that have hatched, found no Verbascums to eat
and so are making do with whatever they can find.

Without looking them up, I'm not sure what those are, but Verbascum has
its own special caterpillar, the larva of the Mullein moth.

Caterpillars are fairly specific in their food plants, to the extent
that one of the field guides classifies them according to food plant.
Something that eats Verbascum is unlikely also to eat cabbage.

The cabbage caterpillars sound rather like Large White.
--
Kay

Old 26-11-2004, 01:29 AM
ned

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Kay. 'Unlikely to be the Mullein moth.
Its way out of season for them and - they 'aint hairy.
The Large Whites are more likely to have multiple generations each
year.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.11.2004

Old 26-11-2004, 08:49 AM
ajr

"ned" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Almost one hundred percent sure that it is the Large White, as mentioned by
Kay and Ned - will double check later in the day.

http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/but...w_cat_3681.jpg

Are they usually around this late in the year?

Rife Caterpillars Zeppelin Australia 1 24-10-2003 02:12 PM
Caterpillars in sac in apple tree - photo David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 0 17-06-2003 03:08 PM
little green caterpillars? ratSenoL Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Berberis & caterpillars Judy Rigby United Kingdom 0 18-03-2003 08:44 AM
Caterpillars are amazing! Chris United Kingdom 7 08-12-2002 09:27 PM