GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leather gloves went stiff (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/87573-leather-gloves-went-stiff.html)

scuffler 11-12-2004 10:31 AM

Leather gloves went stiff

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

Stephen Howard 11-12-2004 11:02 AM

On 11 Dec 2004 02:31:56 -0800, (scuffler) wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

Wear them.
Happens to my 'chrome' gloves all the time - usually after mowing the
lawn.
Alternatively, take them to bed with you!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Brian Watson 11-12-2004 11:52 AM

?

Wear them.
Happens to my 'chrome' gloves all the time - usually after mowing the
lawn.
Alternatively, take them to bed with you!

That may be why they are stiff now.....

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Mike Lyle 11-12-2004 12:42 PM

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 11 Dec 2004 02:31:56 -0800, (scuffler) wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished

for
good ?

Wear them.
Happens to my 'chrome' gloves all the time - usually after mowing

the
lawn.
Alternatively, take them to bed with you!

I don't _think_ you're meant to do anything to chrome leather (the
scuffed grey kind) other than just use it. "Hydrophane" or "Flexalan"
from a horsey shop are good treatments for leather, though: I paint
it on with a brush, and a pint tin lasts for years if you aren't
doing a tack-room full of stuff. (If it didn't last years, I suppose
I'd be talking about a 500ml tin!)

Mike.

Kevin Danks 11-12-2004 01:54 PM

"scuffler" wrote in message
om...
my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

I used saddle dressing on mine. They aren't exactly as good as new, but
certainly better than they were.

June Hughes 11-12-2004 02:52 PM

In message , scuffler
writes
my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

Neat's Foot Oil. Any good saddler's will sell it.
--
June Hughes

Stephen Howard 11-12-2004 04:37 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:42:28 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 11 Dec 2004 02:31:56 -0800, (scuffler) wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished

for
good ?

Wear them.
Happens to my 'chrome' gloves all the time - usually after mowing

the
lawn.
Alternatively, take them to bed with you!

I don't _think_ you're meant to do anything to chrome leather (the
scuffed grey kind) other than just use it. "Hydrophane" or "Flexalan"
from a horsey shop are good treatments for leather, though: I paint
it on with a brush, and a pint tin lasts for years if you aren't
doing a tack-room full of stuff. (If it didn't last years, I suppose
I'd be talking about a 500ml tin!)

There are plenty of leather treatments about ( Liberon Leather Cream
is a good all-rounder, and widely available via hardware stores ), but
they're all really designed for 'finished' leather rather than the
rough hide used for bog-standard gardening gloves.
And with a new pair costing a few quid, and given that they rarely
last that long anyway ( assuming you're doing gardening, rather than
just pointing at things ), oiling your gloves seems like overkill.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Kate Morgan 11-12-2004 05:29 PM

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished

for
good ?

I`m always doing that :-( I put them on and place a dollop of any
leather dressing stuffy in the palm and go thro a hand washing action,
take them off and put somewhere not too warm, when they are almost dry I
put them back on and wear them, seems to work.

kate

Sacha 11-12-2004 07:00 PM

On 11/12/04 17:29, in article ,
"Kate Morgan" wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished
for
good ?

I`m always doing that :-( I put them on and place a dollop of any
leather dressing stuffy in the palm and go thro a hand washing action,
take them off and put somewhere not too warm, when they are almost dry I
put them back on and wear them, seems to work.

kate

Olive oil.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Dwayne 12-12-2004 04:24 AM

You didn't use them to put down chemical ice and snow melter did you?
Sometimes the crystals they sell for that purpose will make gloves stiff and
even shrink them.

Dwaayne

om...

Chris Hogg 12-12-2004 10:56 AM

On 11 Dec 2004 02:31:56 -0800, (scuffler) wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

Dubbin?

--
Chris