Old 11-12-2004, 10:31 AM
scuffler

Default Leather gloves went stiff

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Kevin Danks

"scuffler" wrote in message
om...
my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

I used saddle dressing on mine. They aren't exactly as good as new, but
certainly better than they were.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:52 PM
June Hughes

In message , scuffler
writes
my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished for good ?

Neat's Foot Oil. Any good saddler's will sell it.
--
June Hughes
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:42:28 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 11 Dec 2004 02:31:56 -0800, (scuffler) wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished

for
good ?

Wear them.
Happens to my 'chrome' gloves all the time - usually after mowing

the
lawn.
Alternatively, take them to bed with you!

I don't _think_ you're meant to do anything to chrome leather (the
scuffed grey kind) other than just use it. "Hydrophane" or "Flexalan"
from a horsey shop are good treatments for leather, though: I paint
it on with a brush, and a pint tin lasts for years if you aren't
doing a tack-room full of stuff. (If it didn't last years, I suppose
I'd be talking about a 500ml tin!)

There are plenty of leather treatments about ( Liberon Leather Cream
is a good all-rounder, and widely available via hardware stores ), but
they're all really designed for 'finished' leather rather than the
rough hide used for bog-standard gardening gloves.
And with a new pair costing a few quid, and given that they rarely
last that long anyway ( assuming you're doing gardening, rather than
just pointing at things ), oiling your gloves seems like overkill.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Kate Morgan

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished

for
good ?

I`m always doing that :-( I put them on and place a dollop of any
leather dressing stuffy in the palm and go thro a hand washing action,
take them off and put somewhere not too warm, when they are almost dry I
put them back on and wear them, seems to work.

kate
Old 12-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Dwayne

You didn't use them to put down chemical ice and snow melter did you?
Sometimes the crystals they sell for that purpose will make gloves stiff and
even shrink them.

Dwaayne

om...

leather jackets Pete United Kingdom 14 01-04-2006 06:01 PM
leather jackets or cutworms cosmos United Kingdom 15 16-05-2005 04:36 PM
leather jackets or cutworms cosmos Lawns 0 13-05-2005 09:43 PM