Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Sacha

Default Count Lennart Bernadotte

Count Lennart Bernadotte, who built his garden into a tourist
attraction, died on Dec. 21 on Mainau, the island he had gardened in
Lake Constance, Germany, for over half a century. He was 95. I'm ashamed to
say that I've never heard of this garden. Has any urgler been there and can
they enlighten my ignorance, please!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Phil L

Sacha wrote:
:: Count Lennart Bernadotte, who built his garden into a tourist
:: attraction, died on Dec. 21 on Mainau, the island he had gardened
:: in
:: Lake Constance, Germany, for over half a century. He was 95. I'm
:: ashamed to say that I've never heard of this garden. Has any
:: urgler been there and can they enlighten my ignorance, please!

Never heard of him neither, nor the island or gardens, but google's image
search brings up 15,000 results, some of them are stunning photos of the
gardens...

http://snipurl.com/bvr5

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 09-01-2005, 05:08 PM
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Count Lennart Bernadotte, who built his garden into a tourist
attraction, died on Dec. 21 on Mainau, the island he had gardened in
Lake Constance, Germany, for over half a century. He was 95. I'm ashamed to
say that I've never heard of this garden. Has any urgler been there and can
they enlighten my ignorance, please!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Ohhhh - looks nice !

info:
http://www.stripesonline.com/article...&article=22853
http://www.historicgardens.org/revie...t/optimist.htm
http://www.mainau.de/htdocs/en/start.htm

pictures:
http://www.picture-newsletter.com/mainau/

Jenny

Old 09-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Mike

No, Joan hasn't heard of it either, so your ignorance is excused :-))

Have a nice day Sacha

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 09-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Count Lennart Bernadotte, who built his garden into a tourist
attraction, died on Dec. 21 on Mainau, the island he had gardened

in
Lake Constance, Germany, for over half a century. He was 95. I'm
ashamed to say that I've never heard of this garden. Has any

urgler
been there and can they enlighten my ignorance, please!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Ohhhh - looks nice !

info:
http://www.stripesonline.com/article...&article=22853

http://www.historicgardens.org/revie...t/optimist.htm
http://www.mainau.de/htdocs/en/start.htm

pictures:
http://www.picture-newsletter.com/mainau/

Actually, on closer inspection I think some of those features are
quite impressively revolting.

Mike.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Sacha

On 9/1/05 17:08, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Count Lennart Bernadotte, who built his garden into a tourist
attraction, died on Dec. 21 on Mainau, the island he had gardened in
Lake Constance, Germany, for over half a century. He was 95. I'm ashamed to
say that I've never heard of this garden. Has any urgler been there and can
they enlighten my ignorance, please!
--

Ohhhh - looks nice !

info:
http://www.stripesonline.com/article...&article=22853
http://www.historicgardens.org/revie...t/optimist.htm
http://www.mainau.de/htdocs/en/start.htm

pictures:
http://www.picture-newsletter.com/mainau/

Thanks, Jenny. I think this looks fascinating. Apparently, the Count was a
Swedish royal who had to give up his royal status on marrying and then was
'given' this island on which to live. Good trade off, I'd guess. It sounds
a wonderful place but just can't imagine how it's never even entered my ken!
If you make the trip, will you report for us, please! In fact, I think urg
should depute you to do it. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 9/1/05 18:42, in article , "Mike
Lyle" wrote:

[...]
pictures:
http://www.picture-newsletter.com/mainau/

Actually, on closer inspection I think some of those features are
quite impressively revolting.

Which are those?

The Blue-Peterish birds made of flowers, and the extraordinary
topiary portrait of the Weed from Bill and Ben, are the ones which
smacked me in the face.

Mike.