Old 09-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Chris Potts

Default Trilliums

Hello all,

I have ambitions to grow trilliums, and in the autumn of 2002 I bought a
collection of five bare rooted plants which I planted as instructed in a
semi-shaded place in soil to which I had added lots of garden compost.
The first spring these five plants produced three leaves but I was not
unduly concerned because the blurb that came with the collection said
that even if they did not produce leaves in the first season they would
be beavering away producing a root system underneath.

Last spring one of them T cuneatum produced a single leaf with a flower,
I found another, T erectum, had worked to the surface, so I planted it
in a pot, where it produced a single leaf and I dug up another one,
T grandiflorum, and put it in a pot where it produced a single leaf.
There was no sing of the other two.

This year the T cuneatum is again going to produce a single shoot, the
two in pots have yet to show, but obviously there is still time.

Is there any way that I can help these plants to increase? I have spent
nearly 30 pounds and have produced six leaves and one flower in three
seasons. I live in North Lincolnshire, a very dry area, and the soil is
improved clay which is slightly alkaline.

Thank you,

All the best,

Chris Potts

Old 09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Mike Lyle

Chris Potts wrote:
[...]

Never grown them; but from memory they're woodland plants and want a
very humus-rich soil which doesn't dry out, and at least dappled
shade. Again from fallible memory, I fancy they may not be too
partial to alkalinity. The nursery should have given you full
instructions: it's naughty that they apparently didn't.

I'd give them a good mulch of well-rotted compost or peat substitute
every year, also digging a lot in around them without damaging the
roots. But the environment you have may be too hostile for them.

Now wait for me to be totally contradicted by somebody who grows
them.

Mike.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:11 PM
IntarsiaCo