GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brambles border (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/88836-brambles-border.html)

none 16-01-2005 12:50 PM

Brambles border

I need to build up my brambles border , but have not much luck
replanting bits of root . what soil and nutrients do they need to get
really going well ?
replanted roots bits never seem to take at all.

Mike 16-01-2005 01:40 PM

Layer them. No trouble at all :-(( I had half an acre which was partly
covered by layered brambles

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
ups.com...

Franz Heymann 16-01-2005 09:43 PM

"none" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to build up my brambles border , but have not much luck
replanting bits of root . what soil and nutrients do they need to

get
really going well ?
replanted roots bits never seem to take at all.

They root well by tip-layering. Just bury the tip of the shoot to be
layered to a depth of a few inches and secure it in position somehow.

Franz

Sacha 17-01-2005 03:27 PM

On 16/1/05 21:43, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

snip
They root well by tip-layering. Just bury the tip of the shoot to be
layered to a depth of a few inches and secure it in position somehow.

Franz

Ahem. Franz, do you *really* not recognise a troll when you meet one? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alan Gould 17-01-2005 06:55 PM

In article ,
writes
Ahem. Franz, do you *really* not recognise a troll when you meet one? ;-)

Rarely :-(((

Whether it was a troll or not is a matter of opinion, but it was clearly
also a genuine on topic question. Genuine recreational gardening
discussion relevant to UK should never be suppressed in this group.

FWIW I was considering giving the same advice as Franz because I have
often carried out tip layering of hedging brambles with good results.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Mike Lyle 17-01-2005 09:35 PM

Alan Gould wrote:
In article ,
writes
Ahem. Franz, do you *really* not recognise a troll when you meet
one? ;-)

Rarely :-(((

Whether it was a troll or not is a matter of opinion, but it was
clearly also a genuine on topic question. Genuine recreational
gardening discussion relevant to UK should never be suppressed in
this group.

FWIW I was considering giving the same advice as Franz because I

have
often carried out tip layering of hedging brambles with good

results.

And I've been shouted down here before when I said brambles don't
propagate from the roots. The crowns, sure; but the roots, not.

Mike.

Alan Gould 18-01-2005 04:40 AM

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REM
OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
And I've been shouted down here before when I said brambles don't
propagate from the roots. The crowns, sure; but the roots, not.

Some claim to propagate brambles from seed, but tip layering is the more
common method.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.