GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Madman loose on Dartmoor! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8894-madman-loose-dartmoor.html)

Simon Avery 29-11-2002 11:21 PM

Madman loose on Dartmoor!

Hello All

....for I have a minidigger sitting in my garden, and all weekend free
to play with it.

[Rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling insanely]

One big pond coming up and a stream to joint it to my existing pond.

And I'm going to dig out a circle on a sloping bank to copy Sasha's
lovely little sun-trap, but won't get around to finishing that for a
year or so.

Been using the digger for relaying drains at work today, and one thing
I've already noticed. When you sit in it, *everything* looks like it
should be turned into a hole.

Janet Baraclough 30-11-2002 11:56 AM

Madman loose on Dartmoor!

The message
from (Simon Avery) contains these words:

Hello All

...for I have a minidigger sitting in my garden, and all weekend free
to play with it.

[Rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling insanely]

One big pond coming up and a stream to joint it to my existing pond.

And I'm going to dig out a circle on a sloping bank to copy Sasha's
lovely little sun-trap, but won't get around to finishing that for a
year or so.

Been using the digger for relaying drains at work today, and one thing
I've already noticed. When you sit in it, *everything* looks like it
should be turned into a hole.

LOL.. Just remember to leave yourself an exit track, and don't get
marooned on an island in a lake surrounded by mountains of earth :-)

Janet.

Victoria Clare 01-12-2002 11:20 PM

Madman loose on Dartmoor!

(Simon Avery) wrote in
:

Hello All

...for I have a minidigger sitting in my garden, and all weekend free
to play with it.

Been using the digger for relaying drains at work today, and one thing
I've already noticed. When you sit in it, *everything* looks like it
should be turned into a hole.

Mmmm - Sunday evening, but no progress report. What do we reckon? Is he
sitting sadly in the middle of a vast muddy pit, wondering how to climb
out?

I've had a look out of the window, and I can't *see* any new tors from
here...

Victoria Clare

--
Victoria Clare
gardening high up in South East Cornwall

Simon Avery 02-12-2002 05:01 PM

Madman loose on Dartmoor!

Victoria Clare wrote:

Hello Victoria

VC Mmmm - Sunday evening, but no progress report. What do we
VC reckon? Is he sitting sadly in the middle of a vast muddy
VC pit, wondering how to climb out?

It went surprisingly smoothly. Yeah, I was astonished that nothing
broke, I found no water pipes and broke no bones. Makes me suspicious.

VC I've had a look out of the window, and I can't *see* any new
VC tors from here...

One thing I underestimated was the amount of soil to come out of a 15m

x5m x 1m pond. It's a lot. A real lot. Plus a further 20' diameter
circle dug into a 8 degree slope resulted in another big lot. Which
has to be barrowed across to the other side. Prolly about 5 ton of
topsoil or so.

Surprisingly good topsoil here, all nice free-draining loamy stuff,
and a full 3 feet of it before hitting the clay sub, which means I had
no problem disposing of the subsoil, because there wasn't any. :)

And I've reached the pivotal point of nearly being able to order the
butyl.

Note to self: Must sort out 20 ton of walling granite.