Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Moving north: need recommendations for hardier veg

We're moving to Perth, and have just had our offer accepted
on a house that we had set our hearts on. One of the
reasons we liked it so much was that it has a large
south-facing garden with two vegetable plots that together
add up to an area easily three times that of our current
vegetable beds. And it has a greenhouse as well, and even a
set of nursery beds with cloches. So we're happily looking
through seed catalogues trying to decide what to grow.

The trouble is that Perth is north, inland, and uphill of
Glasgow, where we are at the moment. We're a bit worried
that some of the things we currently grow, such as
courgettes (we're particularly fond of One Ball, which we
tried for the first time last year and found to be lovely
and tender), won't be very happy in the colder climate.
We'd also like to grow things like chillis, peppers, and
aubergines in the greenhouse (never having had the chance
before), but again we're a little worried about the cold.

Other things we'd like to try include asparagus and
strawberries. I'm looking for suggestions for varieties of
any of the above plants that would be happy in the cold, and
any warnings of plants that won't grow so well. I'd also
welcome any recommendations for new things to try with all
the space we now have!

Rhiannon

--

http://sciethics.blogspot.com/ -- the rights and wrongs of