GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   liverwort control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89153-liverwort-control.html)

Eileen 25-01-2005 02:33 AM

liverwort control

I have trouble with liverwort, in dampish patches on gravel and in and
around plants. Have tried all sorts of weed sprays, Jeyes fluid, vinegar, .
Any other ideas please?

JennyC 25-01-2005 06:20 AM

"Eileen" wrote in message
I have trouble with liverwort, in dampish patches on gravel and in and
around plants. Have tried all sorts of weed sprays, Jeyes fluid, vinegar, .
Any other ideas please?

Hi Eileen,

If you go to google and type in liverwort control you'll get masses of
links to pages about the subject :~))

I actually find them rather pretty !
Jenny

Nick Maclaren 25-01-2005 08:09 AM

In article , JennyC wrote:

"Eileen" wrote in message
I have trouble with liverwort, in dampish patches on gravel and in and
around plants. Have tried all sorts of weed sprays, Jeyes fluid, vinegar, .
Any other ideas please?

If you go to google and type in liverwort control you'll get masses of
links to pages about the subject :~))

And nothing will work. Cure the dampness and they will go. Don't
and they won't.

I actually find them rather pretty !

Yes, so do I - and they aren't hard to remove by hand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Eileen 26-01-2005 12:39 AM

Thanks for your replies - can't realistically alter the dampness, so will
instead try to see them in a different light!

Poppea 08-08-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen (Post 492472)
I have trouble with liverwort, in dampish patches on gravel and in and
around plants. Have tried all sorts of weed sprays, Jeyes fluid, vinegar, .
Any other ideas please?

On gravel and on paving stones use boiling water, i.e. fill your kettle!

echinosum 10-08-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen (Post 492472)
Any other ideas please?

Liverwort is, biologically, the same as moss, so mosskiller will work on it. DIY places sell stuff to spray on paving to kill moss and algae. In my experience, they work. It's not a permanent solution though, it grows back after a while, and in conditions particularly favourable for their growth, it can grow back very quickly. I treated my paving in May this year, and such has been the the cool damp summer this year that in the more shaded areas it is already growing back strongly. Usually it waits until winter...