Old 05-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Jason King

Default Agarve in UK Winter

Does anyone know if an Agarve can with stand the UK winter outdoors or
should it really be brought in for the winter? I bought one earlier this
year which is probably about 12" high but is still in the pot. I was
wondering whether or not it could be planted outside or not. At the moment I
keep it in the conservatory.

Old 05-12-2002, 11:09 PM
ned

Jason King wrote:
Does anyone know if an Agarve can with stand the UK winter outdoors

or
should it really be brought in for the winter? I bought one earlier
this year which is probably about 12" high but is still in the pot.

was wondering whether or not it could be planted outside or not. At
the moment I keep it in the conservatory.

Generally speaking, unless you live in a very mild and sheltered spot,
I'd recommend having it indoors in winter. Outside, even if it doesn't
get frosted, cold water droplets will sit on the leaves a long time
and even the winter sun will be focussed enough by the water droplet
lens to 'burn' the leaves. These burns will then subsequently turn to
rot the leaves in the cold wet weather. Its not worth the risk.

I kept some much bigger potted agaves for about 15 years but always
overwintered them indoors. The size of the pot will generally dictate
the size of the plant. I only gave up on them when they got too heavy
and awkward to manoeuvre.

--
ned

Old 05-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Michael Berridge

Jason King wrote in message ...
Does anyone know if an Agarve can with stand the UK winter outdoors or
should it really be brought in for the winter? I bought one earlier

this
year which is probably about 12" high but is still in the pot. I was
wondering whether or not it could be planted outside or not. At the

moment I
keep it in the conservatory.

Devon and Cornwall possibly, anywhere else, certainly not.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 08-12-2002, 05:27 PM
sacha

in article , Michael Berridge at
wrote on 5/12/02 11:25 pm:

Jason King wrote in message ...
Does anyone know if an Agarve can with stand the UK winter outdoors or
should it really be brought in for the winter? I bought one earlier

this
year which is probably about 12" high but is still in the pot. I was
wondering whether or not it could be planted outside or not. At the

moment I
keep it in the conservatory.

Devon and Cornwall possibly, anywhere else, certainly not.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

We're in South Devon but only 3.5 miles from Dartmoor. We wouldn't risk
them outside in the winter. But we do have friends and customer in Salcombe
and Torquay who would be very unlucky to lose them. Location is everything
and to a very particular degree - pun intended. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-12-2002, 10:51 PM
Nick Williamson

Changing subject a little... I've just bought a packet of mixed agave
seed and am looking forward to raising them. The pack says I shouldn't
sow until February but given that they'll be indoors, couldn't I sow
them now? As they're surface-sown, I wondered if the light levels
wouldn't be high enough to encourage germination until February...

TIA
Nick