Old 02-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Clive Holden

Default Old compost

Hello all,

New poster here!

Last weekend whilst searching through my garage I found an unopened bag of
seed compost. It must be at least five years old. The bag is still sealed.
my question is will the compost still be ok for seed raising or should I
just dump it on the beds and borders. Sod's law I'd just bought a brand new
bag on Sunday!!

Clive in Kent

Old 02-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Cerumen

"Clive Holden @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hello all,

New poster here!

Last weekend whilst searching through my garage I found an unopened bag

of
seed compost. It must be at least five years old. The bag is still

sealed.
my question is will the compost still be ok for seed raising or should I
just dump it on the beds and borders.

If it is fully sealed and no insect or other lifeforms have moved in it
should be fine to use. In a plastic bag in a shed anyway it would be
unlikely to pick up and plant virus or fungal spores even if there were
small holes in the bag.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Nick Gray

"Clive Holden @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hello all,

New poster here!

Last weekend whilst searching through my garage I found an unopened bag of
seed compost. It must be at least five years old. The bag is still sealed.
my question is will the compost still be ok for seed raising or should I
just dump it on the beds and borders. Sod's law I'd just bought a brand

new
bag on Sunday!!

Clive in Kent

Hi Clive,

The old seed compost should be ok to use, seed compost is low in nutrients.
I'd be tempted to mix the old compost with the new bag that you've just
brought.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Clive in Kent

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

Hi Clive,

The old seed compost should be ok to use, seed compost is low in
nutrients.
I'd be tempted to mix the old compost with the new bag that you've just
brought.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Clive in Kent

old pond, old pump Charlie Brown Ponds (alternative) 1 04-08-2006 08:19 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Old Trees and old news P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 17-12-2003 04:04 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM