Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 AM
SteveC

Default online garden centre

Can anyone recomend a good online garden centre that will send plants in
good condition without to much cost added in postage?

Steve C

Old 10-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Charlie Pridham

"SteveC" wrote in message
Can anyone recomend a good online garden centre that will send plants in
good condition without to much cost added in postage?

Steve C

Decent plants are heavy and unless the operation is purely mail order expect
to be charged the going rate of £8-10 per parcel, otherwise its being
subsidised by those customers calling in and buying. Most businesses will
absorb the costs of packaging but the carriage is now a substantial cost.
IMO a lot of post free offers are for very small plants and its you that
ends up doing most of the work of growing them and takes the risks of the
losses.
All that said the plant finder is full of good nurseries that do mail order
(on line at www.rhs.org ) the one you want will depend on the plant types
you are interested in. There are also some excellent nurseries that don't do
mail order and are well worth a trip :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Chris S

"SteveC" wrote in message
Can anyone recomend a good online garden centre that will send plants in
good condition without to much cost added in postage?

Steve C

Hi Steve,
I've always found the folk below to provide an excellent service. Their
plants have done well for me. (in tropical Aberdeen!)
http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/

Regards

Chris S

Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 PM
SteveC

"Chris S" wrote in message

"SteveC" wrote in message
Can anyone recomend a good online garden centre that will send plants in
good condition without to much cost added in postage?

Steve C

Hi Steve,
I've always found the folk below to provide an excellent service. Their
plants have done well for me. (in tropical Aberdeen!)
http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/

Regards

Chris S

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the site addy, even better to know that you are also in
scotland so know the plants bought there would survive. smiles

Steve C

Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM
David Cleland

Can anyone recomend a good online garden centre that will send plants in
good condition without to much cost added in postage?

I have just bought from http://www.bakker.co.uk I am not sure what they are
like as the tree has not arrived yet - but the free bucket of bulbs is an
attraction.

I have also bought a fair amount via ebay - there are a few good sellers on
there.

David