GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Acer problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89796-acer-problem.html)

Glen Able 14-02-2005 01:26 PM

Acer problem

I have a 2' Acer (don't have the exact name to hand) which I planted last
April.
I misjudged how high the sun would get in summer, and it ends up in full sun
for the middle part of the day. Also, I was very ungenerous and only gave
it 1/2" or so or bark chippings for a mulch. Presumably as a result of
this, none of the new growth lasted too long before it frazzled (older
leaves we ok, though)

The obvious answer is to move it to a shadier spot. However, I'd guess
that its roots should be much better established than last year, and I can
give it a good few inches of lovely mulch from the council composting
outfit, and remember to water it more often. Anyone have a feeling as to
whether this would be enough to keep it happy so it can stay where it is?

cheers,
G.A.

Martin Sykes 14-02-2005 02:28 PM

So it appears that you will need to move your acer to a suitable spot.

More information: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/a~palmatum.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

I'd agree. I had two in pots in my front porch - they were well watered and
mulched at all times but the leaves still got scorched. I moved them the
next year still in their pots to a shadier spot which is in the shade of an
oak during the middle of the day in summer and they've been fine ever since

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Chris Hogg 14-02-2005 07:04 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:26:59 -0000, "Glen Able"
wrote:

I have a 2' Acer (don't have the exact name to hand) which I planted last
April.
I misjudged how high the sun would get in summer, and it ends up in full sun
for the middle part of the day. Also, I was very ungenerous and only gave
it 1/2" or so or bark chippings for a mulch. Presumably as a result of
this, none of the new growth lasted too long before it frazzled (older
leaves we ok, though)

The obvious answer is to move it to a shadier spot. However, I'd guess
that its roots should be much better established than last year, and I can
give it a good few inches of lovely mulch from the council composting
outfit, and remember to water it more often. Anyone have a feeling as to
whether this would be enough to keep it happy so it can stay where it is?

Some of the fine-leaved acers are also very sensitive to wind damage.
As others have said, shade, but also shelter from anything but the
lightest wind.

--
Chris

Martin Sykes 15-02-2005 08:53 AM

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Anyway, I'm alarmed to see that it grows to 20' (I'd mistakenly thought
8')

I wouldn't worry too much about the height - just plant it in a large pot.
Then you can effectively bonsai it to any size you like without it going
mad.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )