Old 14-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Glen Able

Default Acer problem

I have a 2' Acer (don't have the exact name to hand) which I planted last
April.
I misjudged how high the sun would get in summer, and it ends up in full sun
for the middle part of the day. Also, I was very ungenerous and only gave
it 1/2" or so or bark chippings for a mulch. Presumably as a result of
this, none of the new growth lasted too long before it frazzled (older
leaves we ok, though)

The obvious answer is to move it to a shadier spot. However, I'd guess
that its roots should be much better established than last year, and I can
give it a good few inches of lovely mulch from the council composting
outfit, and remember to water it more often. Anyone have a feeling as to
whether this would be enough to keep it happy so it can stay where it is?

cheers,
G.A.

Old 14-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Martin Sykes

So it appears that you will need to move your acer to a suitable spot.

More information: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/a~palmatum.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

I'd agree. I had two in pots in my front porch - they were well watered and
mulched at all times but the leaves still got scorched. I moved them the
next year still in their pots to a shadier spot which is in the shade of an
oak during the middle of the day in summer and they've been fine ever since

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 14-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:26:59 -0000, "Glen Able"
wrote:

I have a 2' Acer (don't have the exact name to hand) which I planted last
April.
I misjudged how high the sun would get in summer, and it ends up in full sun
for the middle part of the day. Also, I was very ungenerous and only gave
it 1/2" or so or bark chippings for a mulch. Presumably as a result of
this, none of the new growth lasted too long before it frazzled (older
leaves we ok, though)

The obvious answer is to move it to a shadier spot. However, I'd guess
that its roots should be much better established than last year, and I can
give it a good few inches of lovely mulch from the council composting
outfit, and remember to water it more often. Anyone have a feeling as to
whether this would be enough to keep it happy so it can stay where it is?

Some of the fine-leaved acers are also very sensitive to wind damage.
As others have said, shade, but also shelter from anything but the
lightest wind.

--
Chris

Old 15-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Martin Sykes

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Anyway, I'm alarmed to see that it grows to 20' (I'd mistakenly thought
8')

I wouldn't worry too much about the height - just plant it in a large pot.
Then you can effectively bonsai it to any size you like without it going
mad.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Acer problem sbonline United Kingdom 10 09-05-2011 10:03 PM
problem with Acer leaves? sheila United Kingdom 7 06-06-2010 06:30 PM
Acer black fungal branch problem - please help Zarch United Kingdom 6 24-10-2006 10:39 AM
problem with an acer? Alan United Kingdom 3 28-04-2006 06:29 PM
[IBC] Acer palmatum Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 01:56 AM