Old 16-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Brian

Default TVO and Carrots.

My father grew carrots commercially for many years. He had a very
good deep silt. They were sprayed with TVO at four leaf stage as an
exceptionally good selective weedkiller and as a total deterrent to fly,
through to maturity. They could only be pulled when mature, as the smell
of the TVO persisted till just a few weeks before harvest. The spraying made
all cultivation and weeding unnecessary.
I have no intention of doing this myself as I'm not very fond of any
fully mature vegetable though there must be exceptions.
I have tried to obtain verification of this use of TVO but have
received no success. DEFRA answered but suggested that they were not
prepared to let me have the information, or to advise, or even comment. TVO
could not be other than the ultimate organic compound, but possibly not by
modern definitions!!.
Has anyone else heard of this use of tractor vapourising oil?
I am not recommending its use~~ just enquiring.
Best Wishes Brian.