Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Phil L

Default Dung!

I have just been and got three large sacks of horse manure from the farm
(there is a plentiful and free supply!)...anyway, two of the bags it's only
partially rotted - there is a little bit of fresh stuff in it. the last bag
was filled with the stuff from the bottom and it had been there for decades!
This bag has no visible straw, bedding, 'balls' of manure or any differing
colours, it is just pure black and clean - no roots or any other visible
'impurities', with the appearance of expensive compost!
I intend to spread some on the flowerbeds now while I'm digging them over
and to allow the impending frost to do it's thing, my idea is to use the
partially rotted manure in the beds but...
My question is this; can i use some of it for my hanging baskets and other
planters in May or is it too rich? - I've heard it will burn the young
plants? - will it not burn the seedlings in the beds if this is the case?
Is there a difference in the extremely well rotted stuff and the newer
stuff?

TIA

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/