Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered User

Default Rhododendron Propagation and Pruning

Hi all,
I am very keen on Rhododendrons and need some advice on the best way to develop new plants. I know that one it can be done by air layering and simple layering but are there easier ways, eg a greenwood/semi-ripe cutting or by seeds? If I can do cuttings, when should I take them.

I currently have 2 plants in pots. Should I start feeding them liquid ericaceous plant food now or wait a month?

I have heard that I should prune them after flowering, is this correct, as there are a couple of stems with no growth on that I would like to take back to the main stem to improve it's appearance.

I have also read that you should gently pull off the flower head when it is spent to prevent seed production and to assist with greater flowering for next season, is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as these are the jewels in my crown!

Ian
South West London