Old 04-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Registered User

Default Hornbeam hedge, fence & rabbit challenge!

Hi everyone,
We’re looking at planting a Hornbeam hedge really soon but I need some advice about an accompanying fence. Ideally I’d have no fence at all but a high local rabbit population rules that out! So the next best thing would be to have an inconspicuous fence that the hedge covers to give the beauty of the hedge with the additional security of the concealed fence.

The hedge will run north to south in an arc for a total of 45 metres and will border our exposed country garden from a concrete drive that is shared by us and the local farmer. Between the drive and the hedge position is a strip of grass currently about 2 foot wide. Inside the hedge position (dilapidated picket fence currently) is a strip about 3 feet wide which meets a row of mature fruit tress (apple, pear, plum). As space is rather limited, and because we will need to bury chicken wire facing towards the drive to deter burrowing, a double row with a small fence between the rows is I think not practicable.

My current thinking is to lay chicken wire along the strip, burying half of it towards the drive to stop burrowing, and to have the other half upright close to the hornbeam transplants, supported by wooden stakes – say 2-3 feet high? Although this wont look particularly attractive initially, once the hornbeam develops it should grow through the fencing and begin to hide it, and by the time the stakes rot I think it should be self-supported by the hedge.

I have no doubt you learned gardeners will have better ideas! It may be helpful to add that we do not border other properties and that our house is extended Victorian cottage. Beyond the drive I mention is a summerhouse, chicken house, orchard and kitchen garden - just to paint a picture for you!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Registered User

I have no doubt you learned gardeners will have better ideas! It may be helpful to add that we do not border other properties and that our house is extended Victorian cottage. Beyond the drive I mention is a summerhouse, chicken house, orchard and kitchen garden - just to paint a picture for you![/quote]

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:03:13 +0000, prologica
wrote:

Hi everyone,
We’re looking at planting a Hornbeam hedge really soon but I need some
advice about an accompanying fence. Ideally I’d have no fence at all
but a high local rabbit population rules that out! So the next best
thing would be to have an inconspicuous fence that the hedge covers to
give the beauty of the hedge with the additional security of the
concealed fence.

snip

Never done what you're proposing, but farmers in these parts (west
Cornwall) sometimes ring their fields with chicken wire supported on
bamboo canes as a temporary measure to keep rabbits off their young
brassica crops (spring greens, cauliflower etc.). Fence is 3 - 4 ft
high, but not buried, just weighted down at intervals with stones. But
it only has to be there a couple of months or so before the crop is
harvested. Rather more than 45 metres long though! What you're
proposing sounds pretty similar except that you're going to bury the
bottom edge and intend a more permanent structure. But remember that
chicken wire, even galvanised, doesn't last for ever.

I presume the rabbits can't get into the garden around the end of the
fence, through the gate or through another hedge, for example. If they
can, your efforts will be in vain.

--
Chris