GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another plant to name./Mothers day (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/90497-another-plant-name-mothers-day.html)

[email protected] 04-03-2005 07:04 PM

Another plant to name./Mothers day

My son has given me a plant for Mother's Day. It is exotic and has no
label. The foliage is thick and tough and looks semi succulent, almost
cactus like. In the centre there is a fan shaped piece which is
obviously going to be a magnificent flower. The roots are packed into
a tiny pot and look dry. I will repot it when I return from hols. Hope
it does not die of neglect. Hope you can help Diana

Sacha 04-03-2005 07:18 PM

On 4/3/05 7:04 pm, in article ,
" wrote:

My son has given me a plant for Mother's Day. It is exotic and has no
label. The foliage is thick and tough and looks semi succulent, almost
cactus like. In the centre there is a fan shaped piece which is
obviously going to be a magnificent flower. The roots are packed into
a tiny pot and look dry. I will repot it when I return from hols. Hope
it does not die of neglect. Hope you can help Diana

Strongly suggest you neither water nor repot until you know what it is!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Spider 05-03-2005 10:54 AM

wrote in message
My son has given me a plant for Mother's Day. It is exotic and has no
label. The foliage is thick and tough and looks semi succulent, almost
cactus like. In the centre there is a fan shaped piece which is
obviously going to be a magnificent flower. The roots are packed into
a tiny pot and look dry. I will repot it when I return from hols. Hope
it does not die of neglect. Hope you can help Diana

Hi Diana,

Sounds like a Bromeliad. Try a google on Tillandsia lindenii or Vriesea
(speciosa) splendens.

Spider

Sacha 05-03-2005 11:57 AM

On 5/3/05 10:54, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

wrote in message
My son has given me a plant for Mother's Day. It is exotic and has no
label. The foliage is thick and tough and looks semi succulent, almost
cactus like. In the centre there is a fan shaped piece which is
obviously going to be a magnificent flower. The roots are packed into
a tiny pot and look dry. I will repot it when I return from hols. Hope
it does not die of neglect. Hope you can help Diana

Hi Diana,

Sounds like a Bromeliad. Try a google on Tillandsia lindenii or Vriesea
(speciosa) splendens.

Spider

Heliconia?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 05-03-2005 06:24 PM

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:54:47 -0000, "Spider" wrote:

wrote in message
My son has given me a plant for Mother's Day. It is exotic and has no
label. The foliage is thick and tough and looks semi succulent, almost
cactus like. In the centre there is a fan shaped piece which is
obviously going to be a magnificent flower. The roots are packed into
a tiny pot and look dry. I will repot it when I return from hols. Hope
it does not die of neglect. Hope you can help Diana

Hi Diana,

Sounds like a Bromeliad. Try a google on Tillandsia lindenii or Vriesea
(speciosa) splendens.

Spider

Had a look at a few pictures and it definitely looks like Tillandsia
Anceps - at least as it is now, with the unopened flower dead centre.
Thank you both very much.