Old 10-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Soft fruit in acid soil

Hi

I haven't measured my soil's acidity, but the garden has rhodies and
azaleas plus conifers like a lot of the gardens in this area which I
think must mean there is some acidity.

In my previous garden I had great success growing blackcurrants, however
the soil there was alkaline - am I right in thinking blackcurrants won't
thrive in acid soil?

Also, would blueberries and/or cranberries be an option instead?

Many thanks for advice from the fruit growers out there!

Lynda

Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Robert

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
: Hi
:
: I haven't measured my soil's acidity, but the garden has rhodies and
: azaleas plus conifers like a lot of the gardens in this area which I
: think must mean there is some acidity.
:
: In my previous garden I had great success growing blackcurrants, however
: the soil there was alkaline - am I right in thinking blackcurrants won't
: thrive in acid soil?
:
: Also, would blueberries and/or cranberries be an option instead?
:
: Many thanks for advice from the fruit growers out there!
:
: Lynda

They will do exceedingly well, the blackcurrants

Old 11-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
Hi

I haven't measured my soil's acidity, but the garden has rhodies and
azaleas plus conifers like a lot of the gardens in this area which I
think must mean there is some acidity.

In my previous garden I had great success growing blackcurrants, however
the soil there was alkaline - am I right in thinking blackcurrants won't
thrive in acid soil?

Also, would blueberries and/or cranberries be an option instead?

Many thanks for advice from the fruit growers out there!

Lynda

Blackcurrants will thrive and produce in acid soil, but maybe not quite
as well as alkaline. If you try them and think they are not doing well,
you could give them some lime from time to time.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
Hi

I haven't measured my soil's acidity, but the garden has rhodies and
azaleas plus conifers like a lot of the gardens in this area which I
think must mean there is some acidity.

In my previous garden I had great success growing blackcurrants, however
the soil there was alkaline - am I right in thinking blackcurrants won't
thrive in acid soil?

Also, would blueberries and/or cranberries be an option instead?

Many thanks for advice from the fruit growers out there!

Lynda

Blackcurrants will thrive and produce in acid soil, but maybe not quite
as well as alkaline. If you try them and think they are not doing well,
you could give them some lime from time to time.

Hi

Thanks for the tip - I might see where I would plant them and then do a
soil pH test just to make sure

Lynda