GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cottage gardens (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91047-cottage-gardens.html)

[email protected] 17-03-2005 01:43 AM

cottage gardens

hi- I will be in the uk visiting this summer- does anyone know of any
public 'cottage gardens' i can visit to get some ideas for my own
gardens back home?
thanks!

sahara 17-03-2005 12:41 PM

wrote in message roups.com...
hi- I will be in the uk visiting this summer- does anyone know of any
public 'cottage gardens' i can visit to get some ideas for my own
gardens back home?
thanks!

hi
some idea of whereabouts you will be in the UK would be good? There
are hundreds to choose from and this group will be able to recommend
the best that will also be easily accessible to you.
I'm in the midlands and cant recommend spetchley highly enough, its
near worcester.
http://www.spetchleygardens.co.uk/
the website doesnt do it justice. It seems a little more exuberant and
less clipped than a lot of the national trust properties (many of
which are excellent though - www.nationaltrust.org.uk)
sarah a

shazzbat 17-03-2005 01:30 PM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from contains these words:

hi- I will be in the uk visiting this summer- does anyone know of any
public 'cottage gardens' i can visit to get some ideas for my own
gardens back home?
thanks!

Because real "cottage gardens" (mixed flowers, veg and fruit) require
pretty detailed
hand-attention and look silly in the wrong setting, they aren't often
featured in public parks and gardens. They tend to be privately owned
and tended.

There's an annual paperback publication called the "Yellow Book",
Gardens in England and Wales Open for Charity, which lists hundreds of
private and public gardens, urban and rural, all over the country with
their open days and times. It can be bought at any bookshop or garden
centre and is sure to have some cottage gardens in it.

And your local library will give you for free a copy of the yellow book for
your county if you're only interested in local ones. I got mine this week.

Steve

[email protected] 17-03-2005 02:03 PM

And your local library will give you for free a copy of the yellow

book for
your county if you're only interested in local ones. I got mine this

week.

Steve

good advice but not so useful for someone not currently located within
the UK, such as the OP.
;}

shazzbat 17-03-2005 02:24 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

And your local library will give you for free a copy of the yellow

book for
your county if you're only interested in local ones. I got mine this

week.

Steve

good advice but not so useful for someone not currently located within
the UK, such as the OP.
;}

I think the library will still be there in summer :-))

jane 17-03-2005 03:15 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:24:56 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

~
wrote in message
roups.com...
~
~ And your local library will give you for free a copy of the yellow
~ book for
~ your county if you're only interested in local ones. I got mine this
~ week.
~
~ Steve
~
~ good advice but not so useful for someone not currently located within
~ the UK, such as the OP.
~ ;}
~
~I think the library will still be there in summer :-))
~
~
They have a website too.
http://www.ngs.org.uk/search1.htm
is the garden finder.

The OP can put in the dates they are in the UK, the county they are
visiting and find all the local open gardens. The gardens are also
described so you can pick cottagey ones out.

hope this helps

--
jane

Mark Twain

jane 17-03-2005 03:21 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:24:56 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

~
wrote in message
roups.com...
~
~ And your local library will give you for free a copy of the yellow
~ book for
~ your county if you're only interested in local ones. I got mine this
~ week.
~
~ Steve
~
~ good advice but not so useful for someone not currently located within
~ the UK, such as the OP.
~ ;}
~
~I think the library will still be there in summer :-))
~
~
this is weird - I posted an answer to this and checked it had arrived,
only to find it with a cancelled mark by it and it vanished when I
tried to re-download!

Anyway, here's what I had got...

The NGS have a website too.
http://www.ngs.org.uk/search1.htm
is the garden finder.

The OP can put in the dates they are in the UK, the county they are
visiting and find all the local open gardens. The gardens are also
described so you can pick cottagey ones out.

right - try again...
--
jane

Mark Twain