GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sunflowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91463-sunflowers.html)

ajr 26-03-2005 04:40 PM

Sunflowers

Good afternoon,

Quick question - when is the best time to plant sunflower seeds? I live
near Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, which rarely has a frost and is a few
degrees warmer than elsewhere.

Usual thing, I've 'Googled' and found conflicting answers - February to
May!?

Many thanks.

Andrew

Trevor Appleton 26-03-2005 05:17 PM

"ajr" wrote in message
Good afternoon,

Quick question - when is the best time to plant sunflower seeds? I live
near Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, which rarely has a frost and is a few
degrees warmer than elsewhere.

Usual thing, I've 'Googled' and found conflicting answers - February to
May!?

Many thanks.

Andrew

In your neck of the woods I'd go for it now, but lets see what the others
think.

ajr 26-03-2005 05:24 PM

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message

"ajr" wrote in message
Good afternoon,

Quick question - when is the best time to plant sunflower seeds? I live
near Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, which rarely has a frost and is a few
degrees warmer than elsewhere.

Usual thing, I've 'Googled' and found conflicting answers - February to
May!?

Many thanks.

Andrew

In your neck of the woods I'd go for it now, but lets see what the others
think.

That's a good enough answer for me - I just wanted someone to state 'now' so
I can blame them if they don't grow!! :-))

Off to get the trowel now!

Seriously though - I am sure that I had already planted them by this time
last year, but there wasn't a cold snap then.

Thanks for your help Trevor.

Tumbleweed 26-03-2005 09:57 PM

"ajr" wrote in message
Good afternoon,

Quick question - when is the best time to plant sunflower seeds? I live
near Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, which rarely has a frost and is a few
degrees warmer than elsewhere.

Usual thing, I've 'Googled' and found conflicting answers - February to
May!?

Many thanks.

Andrew

since they cost practically nothing, just plant a few every week for the
next few weeks. If we get good weather early on, all well and good, if not,
nothing lost. You'll be planting them in pots, indoors anyway to start with
I presume?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Steve Harris 27-03-2005 07:10 PM

In article ,
(ajr) wrote:

Quick question - when is the best time to plant sunflower seeds?

Also consider WHERE to plant them. If you plant them outside, the seeds
may be eaten by squirrels or other rodents and seedlings are attractive
to slugs and snails.

I sowed mine this month indoors. Next door sowed their's outside one
year and totally failed.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

ajr 29-03-2005 10:04 PM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(ajr) wrote:

Quick question - when is the best time to plant sunflower seeds?

Also consider WHERE to plant them. If you plant them outside, the seeds
may be eaten by squirrels or other rodents and seedlings are attractive
to slugs and snails.

I sowed mine this month indoors. Next door sowed their's outside one
year and totally failed.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Steve / Tumbleweed

Thanks for that bit of advice - I assumed that should be planted outdoors.
Got some spare pots so I'll plant the remaining seeds in them tomorrow.