Old 29-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Glenda

Default Cauliflowers

I've planted some mini-cauliflowers in a trough and they've now
started sprouting. I intend to thin them out and move some of the
seedlings into the vegetable patch in the garden and leave some in the
trough. As this is the first time I've ever grown cauliflowers, is
there any advice anyone would like to give? In particular, the best
way to keep pests off them when in the soil?

Many thanks in advance.

Glenda Young

--
10 Years! Coronation Street Weekly Updates for th'Internet
http://www.corrieweeklyupdates.btinternet.co.uk
Old 29-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Colin Jacobs

Firm soil is best so that the heads do not blow. They do not like to much
root disturbance eir=her because they will sulk & bolt within a few days. Be
sensitive with them & treat the plants with respect. Keep a close eye on the
hearts as they will fill up quickly & bolt just as quick. Try planting six a
fortnight. Then you will not get a glut. Soil type does not matter much but
as I said before it must be firm. Keep it weed free too. In the later stages
cover the hearts with the outer leaves to prtoect tit from the sun. Pests
will include the Cabbge whites as with most brassicas they are very strong
smelling. Pri=otect plants from birds too. A gras or well rotted manuer
should also be used as a mulch. Water often but not too much. Good Luck.

Old 29-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Broadback

"Glenda" wrote in message

I've planted some mini-cauliflowers in a trough and they've now
started sprouting. I intend to thin them out and move some of the
seedlings into the vegetable patch in the garden and leave some in the
trough. As this is the first time I've ever grown cauliflowers, is
there any advice anyone would like to give? In particular, the best
way to keep pests off them when in the soil?

Many thanks in advance.

Glenda Young

--
10 Years! Coronation Street Weekly Updates for th'Internet
http://www.corrieweeklyupdates.btinternet.co.uk

Mice had all bar three of mine last year, so keep an eye open. They
seem to eat from the centre out. I put down traps once I realised what
was eating them. Caught loads (average three a day) pity they are not
edible!
Old 29-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Rod

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:04:52 +0000 (UTC), Glenda
wrote:

I've planted some mini-cauliflowers in a trough and they've now
started sprouting. I intend to thin them out and move some of the
seedlings into the vegetable patch in the garden and leave some in the
trough. As this is the first time I've ever grown cauliflowers, is
there any advice anyone would like to give? In particular, the best
way to keep pests off them when in the soil?

High fertility is the key, and don't ever let them take a check in
growth through delayed planting, getting to dry or short of nutrients.
The most important pests will be caterpillars; and in a wet season
slugs. Caterpillars are best dealt with by hand picking - learn to
recognise the early signs and catch 'em young, with the large white
they will all be together at that point within a day or so of hatching
so you can get the lot under your thumb all at once.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 29-03-2005, 07:45 PM
andrewpreece

wrote:

I've planted some mini-cauliflowers in a trough and they've now
started sprouting. I intend to thin them out and move some of the
seedlings into the vegetable patch in the garden and leave some in the
trough. As this is the first time I've ever grown cauliflowers, is
there any advice anyone would like to give? In particular, the best
way to keep pests off them when in the soil?

High fertility is the key, and don't ever let them take a check in
growth through delayed planting, getting to dry or short of nutrients.
The most important pests will be caterpillars; and in a wet season
slugs. Caterpillars are best dealt with by hand picking - learn to
recognise the early signs and catch 'em young, with the large white
they will all be together at that point within a day or so of hatching
so you can get the lot under your thumb all at once.

Hand picking relies on eternal vigilance though: what about fleece tunnels?

Andy.

Cauliflowers any tips and a bit of help.... JP in Lon United Kingdom 1 17-08-2006 12:27 AM
Advice ref: protection for Cabbage/Cauliflowers please [email protected] United Kingdom 4 31-07-2006 10:37 PM
Cauliflowers Pushkin United Kingdom 7 27-02-2006 09:59 PM
Winter Cauliflowers davidmaynard1 United Kingdom 4 01-02-2006 12:37 AM
Cauliflowers Nancy Australia 2 06-12-2004 01:19 PM