GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snowdrops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9196-snowdrops.html)

June Hughes 02-02-2003 11:06 PM

Snowdrops

In article , sacha
writes
in article , June Hughes at
wrote on 29/1/03 11:36 pm:

In article , Cavalier
writes
Hi Group
If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year? Anyone know.

Yes, they divide and spread, so you will have to thin them out in
spring. Bas claims to hate gardening but his snowdrops are a picture
every year.

Re thinning them out, I must say we never touch ours. I should think there
are literally millions here, all of them planted decades ago.

You know best. However, in a pocket-handkerchief space, unless you thin
them, there is nothing else in the ground but snowdrops. Unfortunately,
not all of us are blessed with a huge garden:)
--
June Hughes

sacha 02-02-2003 11:13 PM

Snowdrops

in article , June Hughes at
wrote on 2/2/03 11:06 pm:

In article , sacha
writes
in article , June Hughes at
wrote on 29/1/03 11:36 pm:

In article , Cavalier
writes
Hi Group
If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year? Anyone know.

Yes, they divide and spread, so you will have to thin them out in
spring. Bas claims to hate gardening but his snowdrops are a picture
every year.

Re thinning them out, I must say we never touch ours. I should think there
are literally millions here, all of them planted decades ago.

You know best. However, in a pocket-handkerchief space, unless you thin
them, there is nothing else in the ground but snowdrops. Unfortunately,
not all of us are blessed with a huge garden:)

Most emphatically I do *not* know best. I can only share with others what is
my/our experience, just like everyone else - space and size of garden has
nothing to do with that. What I had hoped to point out was they don't need
to be thinned out to flower 'next year'. The original post appeared to be
answered in that vein.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

June Hughes 03-02-2003 12:03 PM

Snowdrops

In article , sacha
writes

Most emphatically I do *not* know best. I can only share with others what is
my/our experience, just like everyone else - space and size of garden has
nothing to do with that. What I had hoped to point out was they don't need
to be thinned out to flower 'next year'. The original post appeared to be
answered in that vein.

Sorry to have annoyed you. No offence intended.
--
June Hughes

sacha 03-02-2003 12:25 PM

Snowdrops

in article , June Hughes at
wrote on 3/2/03 12:03 pm:

In article , sacha
writes

Most emphatically I do *not* know best. I can only share with others what is
my/our experience, just like everyone else - space and size of garden has
nothing to do with that. What I had hoped to point out was they don't need
to be thinned out to flower 'next year'. The original post appeared to be
answered in that vein.

Sorry to have annoyed you. No offence intended.

No, I realise that but I would hate anyone to think that because I'm married
to a nurseryman, I think I know best about anything! That's why if I give
advice I've checked with Ray, I always say so and don't claim his knowledge
for my own. He's been a second generation nurseryman for over 50 years so
his advice has a lot more value to it than mine!
And I didn't want the OP to think they *had* to go to the rather tedious
trouble of thinning out snowdrops each year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

M Harvey 04-02-2003 12:16 PM

Snowdrops

In article , sacha
wrote:

in article , June Hughes at
wrote on 3/2/03 12:03 pm:

In article , sacha
writes

Most emphatically I do *not* know best. I can only share with others

what
is
my/our experience, just like everyone else - space and size of garden

has
nothing to do with that. What I had hoped to point out was they don't

need
to be thinned out to flower 'next year'. The original post appeared to

be
answered in that vein.

My snowdrops do not seem to multiply. Would that be because they are in a
sunny position? Can I do anything to help them make more flowers?

Gill in sunny but cold Clacton.

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | / Check our webpage!
___________________________/

sacha 05-02-2003 10:20 AM

Snowdrops

in article , M Harvey at
wrote on 4/2/03 12:16 pm:
snip
My snowdrops do not seem to multiply. Would that be because they are in a
sunny position? Can I do anything to help them make more flowers?

Gill in sunny but cold Clacton.

The thousands we have in this garden are all over the place, sunny, shady,
deep shade etc. Is it possible yours just don't like your soil, something
like that?
There so many varieties of snowdrops that it's possible some self-propagate
slower than others.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

June Hughes 05-02-2003 12:57 PM

Snowdrops

In article , M Harvey
writes

My snowdrops do not seem to multiply. Would that be because they are in a
sunny position? Can I do anything to help them make more flowers?

When they have finished flowering, you could try dividing the clumps.
Bas just digs over the garden and they divide when he is doing it.
--
June Hughes