Old 21-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Cavalier

Default Snowdrops

Hi Group
If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year? Anyone know.
Thanks
Diana

Old 21-01-2003, 12:13 PM
cormaic

'Twas Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:53:37 GMT, when "Cavalier"
enriched all our lives with these worthy thoughts:

Hi Group
If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year? Anyone know.

If you just pick the flower on its stem, then they'll flower
again next year, but snowdrops as cut flowers don't last very long
indoors. Best left where nature intended them to be - out there in the
cold and damp. :~)

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 21-01-2003, 02:59 PM
JennyC

"cormaic" wrote in message
'Twas Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:53:37 GMT, when "Cavalier"
enriched all our lives with these worthy

thoughts:

Hi Group
If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year?

Anyone know.

If you just pick the flower on its stem, then they'll flower
again next year, but snowdrops as cut flowers don't last very long
indoors. Best left where nature intended them to be - out there in

the
cold and damp. :~)
cormaic

You're right Tony, but they do bring a touch of Spring into the house.
It all depends how many you have in the garden......"~)

Jenny

Old 22-01-2003, 11:40 AM
cormaic

'Twas Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:08:04 +0000, when sacha
enriched all our lives with these
worthy thoughts:

Take one large flat

In Bristol, by any chance? ;-))

Everyone knows Bristols come in pairs, Sacha! ;~)

Old 23-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Cavalier

Thanks to all who helped me with the snowdrop question.
Bye 4 now ;o)
Diana

Old 29-01-2003, 04:37 PM
keith kent

snowdrops are bulbous & perenial , so after they have flowered just let them
die down & they will spread & regrow year after year.
happy gardening
keith

Old 29-01-2003, 11:36 PM
June Hughes

In article , Cavalier
writes
Hi Group
If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year? Anyone know.

Yes, they divide and spread, so you will have to thin them out in
spring. Bas claims to hate gardening but his snowdrops are a picture
every year.
--
June Hughes
Old 30-01-2003, 12:41 PM

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: in article , June Hughes at
: wrote on 29/1/03 11:36 pm:
:
: In article , Cavalier
: writes
: Hi Group
: If I pick some snowdrops will these plants flower next year? Anyone
know.
:
: Yes, they divide and spread, so you will have to thin them out in
: spring. Bas claims to hate gardening but his snowdrops are a picture
: every year.
:
: Re thinning them out, I must say we never touch ours. I should think
there
: are literally millions here, all of them planted decades ago.
: --
: Sacha
:
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I wish I could get them to establish here. I have tried on several
occasions. I know it's best to buy them in the green, but I don't want the
100 or so you have to buy. I've only got a small suburban patch so a dozen
or so would be loads.

Old 30-01-2003, 02:51 PM
sacha

in article , K at
wrote on 30/1/03 12:41 pm:

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: in article , June Hughes at
:
wrote on 29/1/03 11:36 pm:
:
[...]

Let me have you address by email and I'll send you some when we have them
here. Consider tham a prezzie and give away those you don't want. We have
a friend who brings them in every year in their thousands from an estate he
manages. I don't know what others charge but just wrap up a good big bunch
in newspaper and charge £1.50 for them normally. And I'm not advertising
because we don't do mail-order!
I hope this isn't a morbid thought but if you have a grave you tend,
snowdrops planted on them is a lovely thing to do.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-01-2003, 04:20 PM
margo

Let me have you address by email and I'll send you some when we have them
here. Consider tham a prezzie and give away those you don't want. We

have
a friend who brings them in every year in their thousands from an estate

he
manages. I don't know what others charge but just wrap up a good big

bunch
in newspaper and charge £1.50 for them normally. And I'm not advertising
because we don't do mail-order!
I hope this isn't a morbid thought but if you have a grave you tend,
snowdrops planted on them is a lovely thing to do.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Yes we planted some snowdrops on my parents and sisters grave years ago, and
they come up beautifully every spring. It somehow seems so fitting, and
typifies the hope of a resurrection.
I love snowdrops, they are so brave bringing hope in a cold bleak winter.
Margo
--
Please take the "dog" out to reply by e-mail

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 5 08-02-2003 10:14 AM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM