Old 06-04-2005, 05:50 PM
MM

Default Do cut lettuces keep on growing?

I am often amazed with the way a cut lettuce keeps in the fridge for
so long. As long as you cut off the manky outer leaves, then dunk the
remaining lettuce in cold water for 45 minutes it comes back up
tasting as fresh as when it was bought. Is this because the root
'stub' still provides enough nutrients for the leaves?

I've just prepared one that was bought a week ago and it was fine. It
was probably a few days old already by the time it ended up in
Somerfields. I noticed a similar effect with a fresh cauliflower
recently. I ate half the florets by cutting them off and cooking them,
then I put the remainder still on the root stub back in the fridge. It
was still edible six days later.

MM
Old 06-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
I am often amazed with the way a cut lettuce keeps in the fridge for
so long. As long as you cut off the manky outer leaves, then dunk the
remaining lettuce in cold water for 45 minutes it comes back up
tasting as fresh as when it was bought. Is this because the root
'stub' still provides enough nutrients for the leaves?

No, not nutrients. Just water. It's the water content which keeps it
fresh and crisp, and lack of water which makes it go limp and floppy.
Just like cut flowers.

I've just prepared one that was bought a week ago and it was fine. It
was probably a few days old already by the time it ended up in
Somerfields. I noticed a similar effect with a fresh cauliflower
recently. I ate half the florets by cutting them off and cooking them,
then I put the remainder still on the root stub back in the fridge. It
was still edible six days later.

You can revive shrivelled carrots by putting them in water. That is, if
they've shrivelled. Supermarket ones nowadays seem to go black and slimy
instead.
--
Kay

Old 06-04-2005, 09:53 PM
shazzbat

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , MM
writes
[...]

I saw some french beans curling up and turning black at the ends yesterday
on a shelf in tesco. I checked the label, and they had been grown in
Zimbabwe. By this morning they were probably in the bin. So no waste there
then.

Steve

world's worst gardener's crappy lettuces Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 20 14-07-2005 05:18 PM
lettuces Jack1000 Edible Gardening 2 15-07-2004 12:02 AM
lettuces Jack1000 Edible Gardening 2 09-07-2004 09:02 PM
Lettuces and Spinach Greens-Collards North Carolina 0 20-05-2004 04:03 AM
Lettuces UNder Fleece LouP United Kingdom 8 02-07-2003 10:57 AM