Old 06-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Alex Woodward

Default compost

Is it ok to use a good quality organic compost around heathers, or must a
specific ericaceous compost only be used? What's the difference between them
anyway?

Alex

Old 07-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Alex Woodward

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes
Is it ok to use a good quality organic compost around heathers, or must a
specific ericaceous compost only be used? What's the difference between
them
anyway?

Many heathers, and a number of other plants, are unable to take up
necessary iron from the soil when the soil is alkaline, ie has a high
lime/chalk content and a pH above 7.

Ericaceous compost is slightly acid, ie with a pH below 7.

Organic compost can be either alkaline or acid depending on how and
where it was produced.
--
Kay

I tend to use a supplier who produce their own compost using old leaves
branches and all things organic. It is extremely black and does not look
brown even when dry. Although I'm not sure of the exact composition of the
compost, I have seen the compost heaps during its manufacture and they are
truly enormous. They are easily 15ft high and cover quite a few acres. Many
of the heaps are constantly topped up and appear to contain mostly green
vegetation. Where the heaps are ready for use, they tend to be wet and
contain organic material that is quite large compared to the finely ground
stuff you find at the likes of B&Q.

By the way, I pay £2 a bag that is as heavy as a large 60 litre bag of B&Q
compost that costs around 5 quid! I am told it is even cheaper if I buy it
in bulk.

Alex

Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Kay

In article , Alex Woodward
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes
[...]

The mere fact of its being organic doesn't guarantee a low pH. You could
try it and see if your heathers thrive. You say you are using it
'around' the heathers - what is the pH of your soil?

--
Kay

Old 09-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Alex Woodward

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes
[...]

I have not used it around the heathers yet, only on soil where the plants
don't require a really acidic soil to thrive. I suppose it would be best to
give the compost a quick ph test before I try on the heathers.

Alex