Old 08-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Philippe Gautier

Default lawn overseeding

Hi,

A friend of mine recently bought a house and wants to restore the lawn
in his small town garden. Since he is not really into gardening, he
asked my advice (as the "green fingered friend"!). So, I'd like to have
yours as well if you don't mind. The lawn is quite worn out, but
relatively weed and moss free. The big problem is that the soil is
*very* uneven (lots of bumps and potholes). My advice was: dig it all
out, level it and restart from scratch, but I think he is a little bit
daunted by the prospect. So, apparently, someone proposed to level the
lawn by spreading a mix of compost-sand over the existing turf (and
filling tyhe holes) and then reseeding on top of that. Could it work? In
a way it's the same technique used for small lawn repairs, but much
bigger scale... I told him I was not sure, and that he should certainly
first see if the drainage is ok before putting a layer of soil on top of
a compacted not well drained one.

What do you think? Would it be acceptable?

Philippe
Old 09-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Martin Sykes

"Philippe Gautier" wrote in message
[...]

Yes it will work. At my last house, I dug a huge pond and used the soil to
level the lawn. It was covered to a depth of about 8 inches along one side.
I seeded on top and it grew fine.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 09-04-2005, 02:48 PM
gogo

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I'm sure he will be relieved!

Philippe

Earliest time of the year to start overseeding patching lawn (UK)? Zarch Lawns 2 10-02-2006 03:49 PM
top-dressing mix when overseeding a lawn? J99 United Kingdom 0 04-09-2004 11:59 PM
Overseeding a lawn sherwindu Gardening 8 08-08-2004 05:09 AM
overseeding lawn LFR Gardening 0 19-04-2004 05:02 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM