Old 10-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Why is it?

That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the best
ones?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Bob

Alan Holmes wrote:
That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the best
ones?

Skill. Raw, native, talent.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote

That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the best
ones?

The bigger the spud the bigger the chance of forking it.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 10-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Phil L

Alan Holmes wrote:
:: That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the
:: best ones?
::
I don't know, maybe it's the same thing when you intend to take the 'just
the best 20' seedlings for repotting and end up with 47?

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Emrys Davies

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the

best
ones?

Because you do not gently fork far enough away from the potatoes.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
David Rance

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Alan Holmes wrote:

That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the best
ones?

Murphy's Law!

(Come on, you were setting us up for that one!)

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:31:30 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the best
ones?

Hey, Alan, that happens to me too!

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

That when digging potatoes, the fork always goes right through the

best
ones?

Hey, Alan, that happens to me too!

There's a traditional Scottish tattie-howking tool which reduces the
chance of damage: if I remember aright, it has only two prongs, and
they're blunt. The head is at a right-angle to the short handle, and
you use it kneeling down (ouch!)

But there's also a special potato fork with flat blunt tines which you
use standing up. I think my parents had one, and they must still be
around...yep, here's the first Ggl specimen:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J1650SN.html

Not exactly the same as the one I remember, but an excellent make.

--
Mike.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Mike

On this great day..11 Apr 2005 02:53:37 -0700, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

snipped

But there's also a special potato fork with flat blunt tines which you
use standing up. I think my parents had one, and they must still be
around...yep, here's the first Ggl specimen:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J1650SN.html

/snipped

In Cheshire it was known as a "sippit" fork. The endsof the tines
were/are bulbous

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email