Old 13-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Question Historical adivice on wild flowering british plants not found in switzerland!

Hello, i'm reearching for a BBC TV drama and I just wondered if anyone can suggest a wild flowering plant that can be bouhgt in flower NOW, that would have appeared in the british isles in the early 1900's but WOULD NOT BE FOUND in Switzerland? We wanted to use Monbretia but we can't get them in flower now, can we use Phlox or Lupins?? Please help! Many thanks, gareth.
PS please reply to my prsonal e-mail, thanks:
Old 15-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Nicks40

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:06:42 +0000, gareth
wrote:

Hello, i'm reearching for a BBC TV drama and I just wondered if anyone
can suggest a wild flowering plant that can be bouhgt in flower NOW,
that would have appeared in the british isles in the early 1900's but
WOULD NOT BE FOUND in Switzerland? We wanted to use Monbretia but we
can't get them in flower now, can we use Phlox or Lupins?? Please help!
Many thanks, gareth.
PS please reply to my prsonal e-mail, thanks:

Hi Gareth

Firstly do you mean 'wild flowering plants' as you wrote, or do you
mean cultivated plants such as Montbretia, Phlox and Lupins?

If you mean wild flowers, then, strictly speaking, there are NO common
wild flowers that occur in Britain but not in Switzerland.

However, you could consider Bluebells, which are common in Britain
(and easy to get hold of supplies) but very very rare in Switzerland.
Also, the viewers would recognize the Bluebell as a typically British
plant.

Hope this helps,

Nick Russell and Nick Boffin

Old 15-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Kay

Hello, i'm reearching for a BBC TV drama and I just wondered if anyone
can suggest a wild flowering plant that can be bouhgt in flower NOW,
that would have appeared in the british isles in the early 1900's but
WOULD NOT BE FOUND in Switzerland? We wanted to use Monbretia but we
can't get them in flower now, can we use Phlox or Lupins?? Please help!
Many thanks, gareth.
PS please reply to my prsonal e-mail, thanks:

Firstly do you mean 'wild flowering plants' as you wrote, or do you
mean cultivated plants such as Montbretia, Phlox and Lupins?

If you mean wild flowers, then, strictly speaking, there are NO common
wild flowers that occur in Britain but not in Switzerland.

Is that really true? What about some of the more coastal things? Sea
pink for example - or does that also grow in alpine habitats? Sea
lavender? Sea holly - though that's not particularly common.

Isn't the bluebell, which you suggest below, an example of a wild plant
that is common here and rare in Switzerland?

However, you could consider Bluebells, which are common in Britain
(and easy to get hold of supplies) but very very rare in Switzerland.
Also, the viewers would recognize the Bluebell as a typically British
plant.

It's coming into flower soon. It can be bought as a plant by mail order,
but not as a cut flower.
--
Kay